The Student Room Group

My gf won't stop wearing the hijab for me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomPic
the hijab is sexist imo

exactly its sexist in YOUR opinion. She clearly doesn't think it's sexist and wears it out of respect for her religion and you're being an absolute tool by trying to force her to take it off.
Original post by TomPic
she is religious she fasts and stuff but idk why she wears it when i know she doesn't want to really

Here's the thing; you do not get to make that decision for her. Only she knows what she really wants, and if she chooses to wear the hijab, you cannot, and should not, try and force her to do otherwise.
Reply 102
Original post by TomPic
Hi guys,
I've been in a relationship with a 19 year old girl for about 8 months, she's Muslim (I'm fine with that) and mixed race and gorgeous with an amazing personality and I really like her a lot.
The only issue is that she wears a hijab in 2019, she argues that I am being 'oppressive' by trying to get her to take it off as I believe she should be free. she insists its 'her choice' but we all know she's clearly been brainwashed and she's too nice to see through that. We had a major argument over this and she said that she's sick of western feminists and men like me trying to liberate her when she wears it as 'her choice' and out of 'love' for her religion. She called me an ignorant white boy and blocked me. Now I'm waiting for her to get over it and call me back, however, idk what to do in the long run? How can I convince her that its a sexist and ancient symbol of patriarchy.

Cool story bro.
Reply 103
Original post by Ash2810
It's her right to decide what she wants or doesn't want to wear. She is clearly wearing the hijab out of choice, not because she is being forced to do so.

This is an interesting issue.
If a Muslimah genuinely believes in Allah and the truth of Islam, and genuinely believes that Allah determines the fate of her soul on the basis of how well she follows his rules, and she genuinely believes that Allah wants her to hear the hijab - is it really a choice, any more than we "choose" to pay taxes or "choose" to not jump off cliffs?
Original post by QE2
This is an interesting issue.
If a Muslimah genuinely believes in Allah and the truth of Islam, and genuinely believes that Allah determines the fate of her soul on the basis of how well she follows his rules, and she genuinely believes that Allah wants her to hear the hijab - is it really a choice, any more than we "choose" to pay taxes or "choose" to not jump off cliffs?

Most people pay taxes, however, some avoid them. The ones that avoid them can otherwise either be a law abiding citizen other than that one law, so would get a much lighter sentence. Or someone who breaks multiple other laws too resulting in a harsher sentence. Similarly the person who pays taxes could break every other law, which means the person who avoided taxes but didn't break every other law would be a better citizen.

TBH idk if what I said made complete sense but it did in my head, and I liked your comparison.
just let her wear hajab its her choice anyways
Reply 106
Where is your evidence of oppression?
faaaaaaake
Original post by Ash2810
Religion is a personal journey. Many people from many different religions have adapted the way they follow religion so that it incorporates well into their daily lives. Almost nobody strictly follows every single teaching from their own religion. Her body is her own, and what she chooses to do with her body should be irrespective of your own personal view. If she wants to have sex, that is her choice and if she wants to wear the hijab, that is her choice.

most religions are a personal ( and spiritual) journey.

wearing of a hijab is a hangover of ancient Arabic culture that was absorbed in islam because it was the done thing at the time of mohammed (700ad) to cover your belongings ( women) up in public

we all know the background- why pretend no one does??
Reply 109
Original post by Chakede
wearing of a hijab is a hangover of ancient Arabic culture that was absorbed in islam because it was the done thing at the time of mohammed (700ad) to cover your belongings ( women) up in public

we all know the background- why pretend no one does??

According to Ibn Kathir, the instruction for Muslim women to wear the hijab was to differentiate them from the pagan women or slaves who would often go around half-naked. This would suggest that women covering was not the standard practice in pre-Islamic Arabia.
Original post by QE2
According to Ibn Kathir, the instruction for Muslim women to wear the hijab was to differentiate them from the pagan women or slaves who would often go around half-naked. This would suggest that women covering was not the standard practice in pre-Islamic Arabia.

it was, as it was in pretty much evry ancient culture around the world - greek roman indian Persian turkic ethipoian etc all illustrate the use of the headscarf as usual wear for women log before islam. no doubt if you e an Islamic writer youd try and denigrate cultures that came before ( often when you had little clue of them) heck don't preachers today falsely denigrate other religious cultures different from their own

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending