P90 – Reducing the legal voting age to 16 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P90 – Reducing the legal voting age to 16, Hill20031892
Reducing the legal voting age to 16

This petition demand that the voting age be reduced to 16 years of age in order to give young people a voice on votes that matter to their future as a British citizen. BREXIT is a prime example of the vote not being true to the people it will affect and is one of my main arguments.
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 4 weeks ago
username4421408
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
God no that’s an awful idea
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i would never trust a 16 year old to make choices on my country (including my sister and others i know) a lot of them are still uneducated and at such a young age they can be heavily persuaded by their parents or peers which means we get mummy and daddys vote rather than the child

at 16 i didnt even know what the different parties were, what they stood for, heck when i was 16 i didnt even know there was an EU referendum until the day after. very few 16 year olds are interested in politics and would make an informed decision. that being said i also did not trust the older (some closed minded) generation to make choices on my country either

if you wouldn't trust a little bmxer chav in a nike tracksuit, air max 95, can of cheap cider and a 4 foot crop top, jeans, white air force gyal with a wkd blue with your life i dont think you'd trust them with making a big decision like voting bearing in mind at such a young age they aren't as likely to take things seriously and they would either cross all the boxes or no boxes or do something stupid
Hill20031892
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t feel as though that type would care enough to vote. I know a lot of people would seem to have a lot more sense than some of the people running our government currently (not to say they are all like that, there are a few that know what they are doing) and in discussions with them, they would vote given the chance. They aren’t the type you have described, and I must say that although you didn’t know what the parties were at 16 doesn’t mean to say that stands for everyone.
(Original post by sfaraj)
i would never trust a 16 year old to make choices on my country (including my sister and others i know) a lot of them are still uneducated and at such a young age they can be heavily persuaded by their parents or peers which means we get mummy and daddys vote rather than the child

at 16 i didnt even know what the different parties were, what they stood for, heck when i was 16 i didnt even know there was an EU referendum until the day after. very few 16 year olds are interested in politics and would make an informed decision. that being said i also did not trust the older (some closed minded) generation to make choices on my country either

if you wouldn't trust a little bmxer chav in a nike tracksuit, air max 95, can of cheap cider and a 4 foot crop top, jeans, white air force gyal with a wkd blue with your life i dont think you'd trust them with making a big decision like voting bearing in mind at such a young age they aren't as likely to take things seriously and they would either cross all the boxes or no boxes or do something stupid
Hill20031892
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And your reasoning?
(Original post by pi=e)
God no that’s an awful idea
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i agree with you, as i did mention a few youngsters would actually be interested in politics and having a say and i thinks thats brilliant to be so open and aware at 16, but the type i described is honestly a comedic stereotype and i know not all 16 y/os are thots and chavs for i once was 16 but its probably because as a londoner most of the teens match my description

however some kids really enjoy messing with people and so some may be bothered to muck around.

stereotypes aside, 16 is a little too young, if they aren't able to buy alcohol, tobacco, scratchcards and now caffeine apparently, they wouldn't be old enough to make informed decisions
(Original post by Hill20031892)
I don’t feel as though that type would care enough to vote. I know a lot of people would seem to have a lot more sense than some of the people running our government currently (not to say they are all like that, there are a few that know what they are doing) and in discussions with them, they would vote given the chance. They aren’t the type you have described, and I must say that although you didn’t know what the parties were at 16 doesn’t mean to say that stands for everyone.
Hill20031892
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fair statement.
i agree with you, as i did mention a few youngsters would actually be interested in politics and having a say and i thinks thats brilliant to be so open and aware at 16, but the type i described is honestly a comedic stereotype and i know not all 16 y/os are thots and chavs for i once was 16 but its probably because as a londoner most of the teens match my description

however some kids really enjoy messing with people and so some may be bothered to muck around.

stereotypes aside, 16 is a little too young, if they aren't able to buy alcohol, tobacco, scratchcards and now caffeine apparently, they wouldn't be old enough to make informed decisions
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P90 – Reducing the legal voting age to 16, Hill20031892
Reducing the legal voting age to 16

This petition demand that the voting age be reduced to 16 years of age in order to give young people a voice on votes that matter to their future as a British citizen. BREXIT is a prime example of the vote not being true to the people gay it will affect and is one of my main arguments.
I think that we should bring the maximum age to vote in the UK to around 70. If that is done, I don’t think making legal age 16 is such a bad idea although there are many immature people that age who will vote randomly and not understand the effect it may have.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
I think that we should bring the maximum age to vote in the UK to around 70. If that is done, I don’t think making legal age 16 is such a bad idea although there are many immature people that age who will vote randomly and not understand the effect it may have.
agree i feel like bringing in a max age may be a good idea in theory as, in the nicest way possible their votes will affect the future generation and not so much them but there will almost definitely be some sort of protest from the elders for having their voices taken from them and i can understand how frustrating it would be for them to have a say, a role for so long only for it to be gone in such a short space of time and a lot of the elders are very proactive in distributing leaflets for parties, setting up the voting station, volunteering so that would be difficult and something to consider if a max age is indeed introduced

however i'd like to know why you think 16 year olds voting is a good idea
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
agree i feel like bringing in a max age may be a good idea in theory as, in the nicest way possible their votes will affect the future generation and not so much them but there will almost definitely be some sort of protest from the elders for having their voices taken from them and i can understand how frustrating it would be for them to have a say, a role for so long only for it to be gone in such a short space of time and a lot of the elders are very proactive in distributing leaflets for parties, setting up the voting station, volunteering so that would be difficult and something to consider if a max age is indeed introduced

To be honest, I don’t actually know where I stand with legal age brought down to 16. I myself am 16 and would love to have a voice to vote as I am very much in to politics but i also know many who are my age and not as educated in politics
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
To be honest, I don’t actually know where I stand with legal age brought down to 16. I myself am 16 and would love to have a voice to vote as I am very much in to politics but i also know many who are my age and not as educated in politics
exactly! when i was 16, i really wanted to vote at my young age and at the time there was the discussion of whether 16 y/os should vote and i went for YES we should, 3 years later im realising at 16 i would've probably vote for whoever my parents voted for, but dont worry you got a year or 2 to go
therandomperson
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A 16 year old would be too easy to manipulate through schools and parents.
LewisSlade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Introducing a maximum voting age would be a very bad idea in my opinion. Representatives wouldn’t get votes by campaigning for the interests of the elderly. For example, if a party decided they would cut pensions and invest the money into schools they wouldn’t lose any voters despite the fact that many old people rely on pensions for food etc (since they are unable to work). No matter the voting age, it will be kinda arbitrary… and voting age = to the age you become a legal adult and have to pay tax etc seems to make sense. Back to the max voting age thing, if you’re not represented in government then your rights aren’t protected.

This reply got a little off topic sorry OP
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps one of the most over debated ideas in the house however the justification given is a poor one that can ultimately be used to justify votes for newborns as it is also their future, or how about the unborn, their future too, or those not yet conceived?

If you're going to argue for votes for 16 year olds at least come up with something better than "I don't like the way vote x went and I think this would have changed that outcome" which is what this sounds like.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Perhaps one of the most over debated ideas in the house however the justification given is a poor one that can ultimately be used to justify votes for newborns as it is also their future, or how about the unborn, their future too, or those not yet conceived?

If you're going to argue for votes for 16 year olds at least come up with something better than "I don't like the way vote x went and I think this would have changed that outcome" which is what this sounds like.
Not to mention that giving 16-17 year olds the vote on Brexit would not have changed the outcome
CommanderKeen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The legal voting age should be like 25. Maybe 30.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Not to mention that giving 16-17 year olds the vote on Brexit would not have changed the outcome
That's debatable
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
That's debatable
True, very highly unlikely given the numbers may be a more accurate phrase.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If a 16 year old can have left school and even join the armed forces, or be in workplace training, then I see no reason why they should not be able to vote.
Hill20031892
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Exactly. If a 16 year has the ability to make money, and be in a position to die for his/her country then why should they not be Able to vote?
(Original post by barnetlad)
If a 16 year old can have left school and even join the armed forces, or be in workplace training, then I see no reason why they should not be able to vote.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads