The Student Room Group

**Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2020 Thread**

Scroll to see replies

What would you recommend students starting university in September to do over the summer to strengthen their spring week applications? Moreover, since many banks like GS start accepting application from July 1st and review them on an ongoing basis, would you suggest to apply asap ( even before starting at uni )? Or should we wait till October so that we can add stuff related to uni to our cv? Thanks in advance!
I share the same question like you!
Original post by akerlofnash
What would you recommend students starting university in September to do over the summer to strengthen their spring week applications? Moreover, since many banks like GS start accepting application from July 1st and review them on an ongoing basis, would you suggest to apply asap ( even before starting at uni )? Or should we wait till October so that we can add stuff related to uni to our cv? Thanks in advance!
Pre prepare a CV to be filled with uni socities and apply by late October latest
Do you know whether 1 y masters students 19/20 can apply for spring internships?
How many places do BB’s usually have?
Reply 25
A lot. This year GS took around 170 with JPM taking roughly the same number too. BAML had around 100, DB had nearly 80 etc.
Bear in mind that these numbers were for all divisions...
Original post by Salocin123
How many places do BB’s usually have?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi everyone, I have a quick question :
I am very interested in a spring week in April 2020 in London but my date of graduation is 2021.
Would I indicate that I will be graduated in 2022 ?

Thanks all
(edited 4 years ago)
Do many economic grads go onto the advisory side of IBD or the trading side, since I want to become a trader but economics may not seem as quantitative as maths, physics, computer science, engineering, maths&stats??
Original post by banker12345
Do many economic grads go onto the advisory side of IBD or the trading side, since I want to become a trader but economics may not seem as quantitative as maths, physics, computer science, engineering, maths&stats??

mix of both
Reply 29
What will banks like JPM or GS make us do if we pass the initial screening? HireVue?
Reply 30
Original post by xtrembob
Pre prepare a CV to be filled with uni socities and apply by late October latest

Wait so for uni 2019 entry we apply late October latest for spring weeks?

Thanks
same question for me please
other banks have opened spring offers except for GS and JPM ?
Original post by h197
What will banks like JPM or GS make us do if we pass the initial screening? HireVue?
Hi! What exactly does BBs, EBs, BSBs, MMs and AM mean? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ibd_memes
This is the official mega-thread for those starting university this September or going into second year of a four year course (or third year of a five year course). Thanks to @Princepieman

The following firms offer spring weeks:

BBs
Goldman Sachs
Morgan Stanley
JPMorgan
BAML
Credit Suisse
Citi
Deutsche Bank
Barclays Investment Bank
UBS

EBs:
Lazard
Rothschild
Evercore
PWP (Women's)
PJT

BSBs and MMs:
HSBC
RBC
BNP Paribas
Nomura
Jefferies
Macquarie

Big4 (mainly audit/corpfin)
KPMG
Deloitte
PwC
EY

Consulting:
BCG Insight (usually September)
Mckinsey Discover (can clash with normal spring weeks)

Commodities:
BP IST
VCMT

AM:
Schroders
BlackRock
Aviva Investors

PE:
Blackstone (Women's)
Original post by shriya manwani
Hi! What exactly does BBs, EBs, BSBs, MMs and AM mean? Thanks! :smile:

BB - bulge bracket
EB - elite boutique
BSB - ?
MM - middle market
AM - asset management
Original post by Salocin123
BB - bulge bracket
EB - elite boutique
BSB - ?
MM - middle market
AM - asset management

balance sheet bank (banks with a large commercial bank that aren't a BB)
What is the ratio of number of ppl applying and getting one actually
Original post by Lunamarine
What is the ratio of number of ppl applying and getting one actually

about 2-5% per FO program (usually low thousands, and 25-100 spots). some even lower (esp. AM or ER, BlackRock is like a handful but still the same low-mid thousands). Lazard was 50 people and 2500 applicants when I did it.

The actual success rate is higher since there's a lot of overlap in the pool (but it still varies since most people get no offers and some people get 4+).
Reply 37
Original post by Princepieman
about 2-5% per FO program (usually low thousands, and 25-100 spots). some even lower (esp. AM or ER, BlackRock is like a handful but still the same low-mid thousands). Lazard was 50 people and 2500 applicants when I did it.

The actual success rate is higher since there's a lot of overlap in the pool (but it still varies since most people get no offers and some people get 4+).

What types of things can differentiate candidates then? I mean things that have weighting if ygm. So does having lots of internships and work experience (related) have a lot of clout in these types of apps?

Thanks
Original post by timif1
What types of things can differentiate candidates then? I mean things that have weighting if ygm. So does having lots of internships and work experience (related) have a lot of clout in these types of apps?

Thanks

CV stage: good uni/grades, some example of ECs (particularly team/leadership related ones), any prior exposure to finance (e.g. insight days), any prior work experience (could even just be a part-time job), any awards or achievements, well written responses to questions/well written CL

Int stage: well researched answers to questions, confidence/personality/vibrance, appearance/clothing (are you well put together?), if face to face/phone - your general interpersonal skills
Going into first year in September, however I've got four years experience working in Compliance at HMRC. Would like to get some general feeling from yous on how important will this be to my application and am I better applying now , next month or waiting til uni starts where I've got more kind of solid finance experience (societies)? Also.. will not having any A-levels be a problem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending