Hmsmith653
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
**Trigger warning **

Hi, my name is heather and im currently studying sciences to get qualifications to get into med school. I have had a troubled past and have deep scars on my wrist. Now I was thinking of maybe getting a tattoo to try and disguise it a bit. However, I heard tattoos are looked down upon, but having the scars would be negative also as they are visible. Can someone help me on a way to disguise or camouflage scars?
username4552968
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tattoos should not be looked down upon, you have your own story as to why you would have them..
don’t do it for them, do it for you. Who cares what others think, if it’s a way of helping you move on, then that’s the most important thing.

Best wishes
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's fine afaik, I've been seen by nurses with SH scars.
hmsmith655
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
em3fr thanks, im the one who asked the question, forgot the password already haha.
sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
check out the gmc and uni guidelines as they do differ, tattoos in general i believe is fine but visible tattoos are difficult and so for many jobs like military having one below the elbow or wrist or whatever is a bit worse

i dont think it would be worse to have the scars on show, maybe if its uncomfortable for you then i fully understand and theres always the risk of it triggering a patient or colleague but if you are strong enough and stable to speak about it to those who question and can get through people staring then i dont think the lack of a tattoo would be that bad

there was a girl in my school who had deep scars and she overcame her struggle so wonderfully and now shes embraced her struggles and scars as her journey to getting to where she is now
hmsmith655
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you everyone! 💕
EmRep13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with. There's no reason to hide or be ashamed of your scars, but if you'd prefer to cover them up with tattoos, do that.
hmsmith655
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
totally, but I don't want my career being affected if you get me
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting topic for which I don't think there is any specific guidance. You will find many doctors who are entirely ok with visible tattoos, and you will find some who think they aren't professional. You would probably find the same with patients. Would that affect you in a meaningful way? I don't know.

But then doctors are observant people and they will definitely notice self harm scars too, and that's something that some older doctors can sometimes have.. interesting views about. I've heard them suggest to other colleagues (on 3 occasions in the 8 years I've worked in a hospital) that it means this person might not cope with stress well, and that they're worried about how they'll cope as a doctor. I think the significant majority of younger doctors would not share those views, but so you know, those views exist.

I think if you were my friend/relative I would personally probably recommend trying to conceal than having visible tattoos. However, if you wanted to push boundaries a bit then I can't think of any specific guidance or actual evidence that a tasteful tattoo is a bad thing to do.
(Original post by em3fr)
Tattoos should not be looked down upon, you have your own story as to why you would have them..
don’t do it for them, do it for you. Who cares what others think...
Well if you want them to employ you...
(Original post by CoolCavy)
It's fine afaik, I've been seen by nurses with SH scars.
Very different standards for doctors and nurses on this topic. Loads of nurses have them, don't think I've ever seen a doctor with a tattoo they couldn't hide. Slowly changing, but emphasis on slowly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads