P91 – Implementation of direct democracy Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P91 – Implementation of direct democracy, quirky editor
Implementation of direct democracy

People have lost activity in the Mhoc. This is a call upon the government to implement direct democracy to encourage participation.
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 4 weeks ago
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ew no, direct democracy is stupid, it tells Bob down the street that his opinion and belief is just as valid and valuable as an expert of 25 years.
Absolutely not.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right, there are a few problems:
1) this has been shown time and time again not to increase participation, those who post in referendums are those who post generally
2) There is a limit on referendums per term
3) if the intention is to advertise with the wider site, good luck with that, the CT have historically been rather resistant because most people don't care and just complain when they keep getting PMs about us
4) The CT don't seem too bothered either. With our current referendum we don't have the UGs despite the fact that UG stuff was "needed" yesterday according to the time table and the last one was called off completely because the CT took so long and ****ed up so badly.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think there should be a clear basis upon which a referendum can be called, in a manner similar to Switzerland. Not just the whim of the House of Commons.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We actually are having a referendum here in the MHoC for exactly this reason.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We are doing that right now. So it’s a nay or abstain (which, incidentally would be my first of the term)
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay - firstly we are having a referendum in the MHoC, secondly I think that Quirky is conflating meta constitutional issues with regards to activity with what he believes should be implemented in RL U.K.

If you want to change the mechanics of the MHoC a partisan political item like a petition is inappropriate, an amendment should be drafted and seconded and voted upon; I question the wisdom of Saracen's Fez in accepting a meta constitutional item in this form as a petition.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
Nay - firstly we are having a referendum in the MHoC, secondly I think that Quirky is conflating meta constitutional issues with regards to activity with what he believes should be implemented in RL U.K.

If you want to change the mechanics of the MHoC a partisan political item like a petition is inappropriate, an amendment should be drafted and seconded and voted upon; I question the wisdom of Saracen's Fez in accepting a meta constitutional item in this form as a petition.
It's only a petition, it's only a debate on an idea, and we can have that debate here in an abstract and non-binding way.
quirky editor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ew no, direct democracy is stupid, it tells Bob down the street that his opinion and belief is just as valid and valuable as an expert of 25 years.
Absolutely not.
I don't agree with the idea that some votes are worth more than others.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I don't want direct democracy in real life
Hoc . Too impractical. Could work here.
Last edited by quirky editor; 4 weeks ago
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
I don't want direct democracy in real life
Hoc . Too impractical. Could work here.
In that case I suggest an amendment to the relevant sections of the guidance document and constitution.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In that case I suggest an amendment to the relevant sections of the guidance document and constitution.
How is that done?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How is that done?
Saracen's Fez as Speaker, perhaps you could explain the amendment procedure.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
How is that done?
You need to first have a read through the Constitution and Guidance Document to find the bit you want to change or to decide what you want to add.

You should then draft an amendment that looks something a bit like this, setting out the changes you want to make.

Before you submit it to me for a debate, you need to find 5 MPs who are willing to put their names on it (from at least two parties). The amendment proposal thread is a good place to post your draft amendment and try to collect seconders, as well as to get feedback on your amendment before it gets put before the House.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m always happy to second amendments in order to get a debate on them, even if I disagree with them. ☺️
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't agree with the idea that some votes are worth more than others.
Voters do you mean?
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)
Voters do you mean?
Yes. Democracy= majority rule. Not the people you agree with. If you're against democracy, that's a matter that is entirely different. Democracy is not bureaucratic elite rule. If you think voters are not adaquetely informed about certain issues then that is the fault of the state. It is not a reason to deny people democracy.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes. Democracy= majority rule. Not the people you agree with. If you're against democracy, that's a matter that is entirely different. Democracy is not bureaucratic elite rule. If you think voters are not adaquetely informed about certain issues then that is the fault of the state. It is not a reason to deny people democracy.
No It isn't the fault of the state but the nature of the time.

No one person can ever hope to understand the myriad of issues the world faces. when every action has thousands of unintended consequences we cannot expect the lay person to understand all of politics, science, religion and world affairs.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Voting for the sake of voting on the off chance someone takes an interest. I don't get it. That won't work
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)
No It isn't the fault of the state but the nature of the time.

No one person can ever hope to understand the myriad of issues the world faces. when every action has thousands of unintended consequences we cannot expect the lay person to understand all of politics, science, religion and world affairs.
The purpose of a representative democracy is to represent their constituents.tumblr_ob2z4bqSqO1su40qeo1_500.png
Attached files
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.38%
The paper was reasonable (379)
42.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (172)
19.15%
It was TERRIBLE (146)
16.26%

Watched Threads