My maths is not improving quick enough! Please help! Watch

Hiro2468
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
GCSEs are soon and I'm still working at a grade 6 for Maths (>_< ) I really want an 8 but at this rate I don't know if I can still achieve it.

How should I effectively use past papers to improve my grades please? So far it feels like I'm doing pointless practice.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Bump
BuryMathsTutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
GCSEs are soon and I'm still working at a grade 6 for Maths (>_< ) I really want an 8 but at this rate I don't know if I can still achieve it.

How should I effectively use past papers to improve my grades please? So far it feels like I'm doing pointless practice.
Look at the questions where you lost marks, particularly in the first half of a paper. Revise the topic and try the question again. If you're still unable to answer it ask for help.
Goldenshark
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look up a guy called ‘maths explained’ on youtube. Do a past paper and watch him go through it. It’s a lot better than just looking at mark schemes.
Camryn0903
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check your messages (that sounds creepy but I'm not ....just check them in a sec lmao)

Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
Look at the questions where you lost marks, particularly in the first half of a paper. Revise the topic and try the question again. If you're still unable to answer it ask for help.
Thank you! So if I'm able to get at least most of the questions right in the first half of the paper I can secure a grade 7?
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldenshark)
Look up a guy called ‘maths explained’ on youtube. Do a past paper and watch him go through it. It’s a lot better than just looking at mark schemes.
Thank you! I'll check him out
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camryn0903)
Check your messages (that sounds creepy but I'm not ....just check them in a sec lmao)
Dw it doesn't sound creepy at all and I will
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What exam board are you with?

kannmnn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What I always do is: Do a paper, mark it, then go to a question you just didn’t know how to do and were completely stuck on. That question usually lies in a topic you may be insecure in general so then i spend anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour just using online videos and resources learning that topic inside out.
Then it can be quite motivational to go back to the original paper you did, try the question again, and then add up those marks to your total hope that helped
lilTrain
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im at grade 6 too so im using hegarty maths to improve
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mathswatch is also great ... they do all levels... only thing is... I cant remember if you need a school login for it or you can just sign up...🤔
(Original post by lilTrain)
im at grade 6 too so im using hegarty maths to improve
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
What exam board are you with?
Edexcel
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mathswatch is also great ... they do all levels... only thing is... I cant remember if you need a school login for it or you can just sign up...🤔
just had a look.....wowww seems expensive
does need a school login
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hang on... if I can remember my school login you can use mine... it's literally a revision site I dont see what's wrong with that 😊
just had a look.....wowww seems expensive
does need a school login
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nah its alright ill stick with hegarty maths
Hang on... if I can remember my school login you can use mine... it's literally a revision site I dont see what's wrong with that 😊
Feee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First of all when doing an exam paper never leave any question unanswered if you only know one thing that you can write down ie a formula write it, you may get marks for that.
Secondly if there are topics you are unsure about read about it then try to teach it to someone - it is the best way to know if you understand the topic fully.
Thirdly as some of the previous answers said do an exam question and then look back at the ones you've gone wrong on. Instead of looking at the mark scheme first try using textbooks or your notes to see if you can answer it. If not then look at the mark scheme.
You can apply this advice to any exams.
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nah its alright ill stick with hegarty maths
That's a relief... I couldnt find my login lmao
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by kannmnn)
What I always do is: Do a paper, mark it, then go to a question you just didn’t know how to do and were completely stuck on. That question usually lies in a topic you may be insecure in general so then i spend anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour just using online videos and resources learning that topic inside out.
Then it can be quite motivational to go back to the original paper you did, try the question again, and then add up those marks to your total hope that helped
Thank you so much! That does sound motivational (^_^ )
Klara_b155
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay some advice here, as it worked out for me - I wanted all sevens, so I worked for eights and nines - aim higher so that if stuff goes wrong, you will still get the grade you want (probably).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (290)
25.87%
The paper was reasonable (486)
43.35%
Not feeling great about that exam (224)
19.98%
It was TERRIBLE (121)
10.79%

Watched Threads