English Language Gender Theories Watch

HollieMorgen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
When looking at Gender theories e.g. Deborah Cameron, Robin Lakoff, Pilkington etc I am curious as to whether gender theories (relevant/accurate or not) apply to those who are transgender? What I mean by this is would they conform to their biological/birth sex or to the gender they identify as being? So say an individual was born a girl but identified as a boy, would their language conform to biological/societal expectations and therefore in Cameron's case use euphemisms , be more grammatically correct and use 'cleaner' language or would they actually conform to their identified gender of a male and 'conform' to male theories such as Zimmerman and West where men supposedly dominate 90% of the conversation...?

If anyone is transgender here it would be interesting to hear your point of view. Additionally, I apologise if I phrased anything incorrectly so that It may appear insulting.

Also apologies for the lengthy inquisition and if this is nonsensical but I fear I am being driven by a 2AM accidental late coffee sleep deprivation eternal state of being.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.16%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.78%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise