HUSSAI55
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
im an international student from Pakistan and i hoping to apply for biomedicine in 2020. Can someone please give me tips for how to apply and how to make myself stand out?
i will be really grateful for ur help
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Practise at home the various Oxford University entrance exams, ignore the websites trying to sell you these, I found quite few previous years exams online without paying anything. Then carefully read the Oxford colleges entrance requirements and regulations - that’s all you need.
HUSSAI55
Rep:
?
Also, how important are extracurriculars for oxford and what would you advise me to write in my personal statement?
thanks a lot
JackFu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by HUSSAI55)
Also, how important are extracurriculars for oxford and what would you advise me to write in my personal statement?
thanks a lot
I applied to Cambridge and the tips from the admission tutors were: (I assume it is going to be similar to Oxford)

Extracurriculars such as Duke of Edinburgh and sports are fine activities but they do not demonstrate academic capabilities, therefore, what they care about is super-curriculars which are academic activities such as an online course from "XX" university in your subject and write in your PS on why it helped you, interested you in the subject. The activities can also be essay competitions and etc.

Likewise, I think the best advice is to go on to the student room's personal statement section for your subject at Oxford and then see what the structure and activities are on other's statements.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes, I agree with JF, tho Cambridge is a bit harder to get into than Oxford, it’s nearly always academic prowess, demonstrated by high pass marks (in a single attempt for Cambs) or over a couple of years for Oxford, as the most important part of any application. Then you have to pass their individual course test, as ‘grade-inflation’ has made some exam systems unreliable (uk ‘A’-levels?) strangely, Oxford doesn’t have a test in Geography - so that might be the current ‘billionaire-backdoor’.

In modern languages in recent years the absolute minimum entry grade for Oxford was hovering around 85%, but there was effectively a slow three-day interview to validate both candidate and college mutual suitability.
(Original post by JackFu)
I applied to Cambridge and the tips from the admission tutors were: (I assume it is going to be similar to Oxford)

Extracurriculars such as Duke of Edinburgh and sports are fine activities but they do not demonstrate academic capabilities, therefore, what they care about is super-curriculars which are academic activities such as an online course from "XX" university in your subject and write in your PS on why it helped you, interested you in the subject. The activities can also be essay competitions and etc.

Likewise, I think the best advice is to go on to the student room's personal statement section for your subject at Oxford and then see what the structure and activities are on other's statements.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
thanks a lot
You should do things that would make it clear that you're interested in the subject. Read a relevant book, see if there are any public lectures that you could attend, see if there are any specific topics that interest you. In your personal statement you could talk about how what led you to want to study biomedicine, what you learned from reading about it. Just as examples (mine kinda sucked)
HUSSAI55
Rep:
?
would it be helpful to intern at a hospital or a research centre?
thank you for your replies
Last edited by HUSSAI55; 11 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
would it be helpful to intern at a hospital or a research centre?
thank you for your replies
Sounds like a great idea actually
HUSSAI55
Rep:
?
ok thanks
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Sounds like a great idea actually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (129)
29.86%
No (303)
70.14%

Watched Threads