xHanaCakesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I applied for and have been accepted into several courses at Essex. I am so confused which one I should take. I'm so scared if I pick the wrong one. I'm so jealous right now of people who knew right away. Anyway, how did you decide? My choices are all within Sociology so how do people in that department feel the course is overall? What are you studying? Why did you choose that?
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have no experience in any sociology courses, but I would just go to open days for specific courses or get in touch with someone on the courses. (Be it a student or a lecturer.)
Ayerf156
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in a similar boat, really interested in the social anthropology course but can’t seem to find much about it online so unsure of whether to apply for straight up sociology instead... I’m yet to be able to go to an open day
sophiegreen28
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm planning on studying social anthropology in September. I kinda decided to take it because I don't know what I want to do in my life and I've found that anthropology as a whole is very broad and so you can literally do anything with it. I guess what the course covers depends which unis you are looking at so I definitely recommend going to open days, and going to the talks on your course and meet with the department representatives on the day to find out more about what they actually cover. You can also go on the uni website and go on the anthropology / social anthropology section and they usually give a full overview of the course over the 3 (or 4 if your considering Scotland) years you will be studying. I'm not 100% sure if I answered your question at all, but hope it was useful it some way!
(Original post by Ayerf156)
I’m in a similar boat, really interested in the social anthropology course but can’t seem to find much about it online so unsure of whether to apply for straight up sociology instead... I’m yet to be able to go to an open day
irenegdz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! There is a wide range of modules and options at the University of Essex, so you will develop and understand your interests on the move. Don't panic about picking a course that is not for you, as you say, "the wrong one". In the case you need it, the University can support you with that since they have a certain scheme to request a change of degree –I made use of that service and I changed my course in the past! Currently, I am a second-year Liberal Arts student at the University of Essex, taking relevant subjects in Journalism, Sociology and Art History. I wasn't sure about what to study at the undergraduate level because I really enjoyed various subjects during my IB Diploma Programme (Biology, Visual Arts, History, Languages, etc), but I had a solid feeling that I wanted to study with an interdisciplinary approach. There is not really a magic secret I can share with you, but you should pick something that suits your interests and skills. This is totally a cliché, but don't be afraid to make mistakes –this is a process of constant development! I hope that helps, please let me know if I can help you any further
Ayerf156
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is your experience of Essex? Would you recommend it as a uni? Thank you, it’s really interesting to hear your perspective
(Original post by irenegdz)
Hey! There is a wide range of modules and options at the University of Essex, so you will develop and understand your interests on the move. Don't panic about picking a course that is not for you, as you say, "the wrong one". In the case you need it, the University can support you with that since they have a certain scheme to request a change of degree –I made use of that service and I changed my course in the past! Currently, I am a second-year Liberal Arts student at the University of Essex, taking relevant subjects in Journalism, Sociology and Art History. I wasn't sure about what to study at the undergraduate level because I really enjoyed various subjects during my IB Diploma Programme (Biology, Visual Arts, History, Languages, etc), but I had a solid feeling that I wanted to study with an interdisciplinary approach. There is not really a magic secret I can share with you, but you should pick something that suits your interests and skills. This is totally a cliché, but don't be afraid to make mistakes –this is a process of constant development! I hope that helps, please let me know if I can help you any further
irenegdz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Ayerf156, thanks for your kind words! I firmly believe that the student experience is what you make of it, how you take advantage of all the opportunities in front of you. I cannot stress enough the fact that you learn on the move –about yourself, your interests and skills, your future career, etc. To be honest, I am very happy with Essex because I feel very supported by my department and all the services provided. This uni is certainly a multi-cultural space, so you get to meet people from all around the globe which is extremely enriching. Please let me know if you've got any specific questions cause I'll be more than happy to help you. All the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads