Debating faking lectures Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I really need to get some work done. I have about 10k words of coursework due over the next month in the form of about 5 separate pieces, the first of which is due in a week and I haven't even started it. I've done plans for all of them but that's the most detail I've had time to put down.
I live with my family and commute to uni as it's only about half an hour away. My family don't seem to care that I have deadlines, especially my mam. They keep giving me chores to do which I have to fit around work (I work at a holiday park and I'm full time so it's 7 hours a day 6 days a week), and they keep finding reasons to drag me away from my studies in my free time or make me put my laptop away when I'm with them. I have about 7 hours of work a day, plus my hour commute each way, plus my approx 4 hours of chores, and mam works a job that is admin heavy and has me spend about 3 hours a day writing up her work for her. Plus I have to cook dinner on the days I have the early shift. I'm trying to stay up and work but I'm usually getting started about midnight and I have to be up at 6 most days so because of all this I'm averaging about 3 hours of sleep.
I've tried talking to mam about it but she's insisting that the half term (the whole of it) is "family time". She even at one point took my laptop and put it in her cabinet in her home office, which she locked and kept the key with her, because while we were eating dinner I glanced over at it where it was charging. It sat in that cabinet for 3 days and then I told her I needed it because the grades just came out so I had to check. She wouldn't have given it back to me if I hadn't said that.
My uni library is open 24/7. My lectures don't start up properly until next week but my family have no idea what my schedule is. I'm debating just telling them I have lectures and going to uni, then turning off my phone and sitting in the library to work, but I feel guilty about it, I'm a really bad liar, and I'm not sure I can pull this off.
Should I just suck it up and get on with it? Or should I fake the lectures?
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I really need to get some work done. I have about 10k words of coursework due over the next month in the form of about 5 separate pieces, the first of which is due in a week and I haven't even started it. I've done plans for all of them but that's the most detail I've had time to put down.
I live with my family and commute to uni as it's only about half an hour away. My family don't seem to care that I have deadlines, especially my mam. They keep giving me chores to do which I have to fit around work (I work at a holiday park and I'm full time so it's 7 hours a day 6 days a week), and they keep finding reasons to drag me away from my studies in my free time or make me put my laptop away when I'm with them. I have about 7 hours of work a day, plus my hour commute each way, plus my approx 4 hours of chores, and mam works a job that is admin heavy and has me spend about 3 hours a day writing up her work for her. Plus I have to cook dinner on the days I have the early shift. I'm trying to stay up and work but I'm usually getting started about midnight and I have to be up at 6 most days so because of all this I'm averaging about 3 hours of sleep.
I've tried talking to mam about it but she's insisting that the half term (the whole of it) is "family time". She even at one point took my laptop and put it in her cabinet in her home office, which she locked and kept the key with her, because while we were eating dinner I glanced over at it where it was charging. It sat in that cabinet for 3 days and then I told her I needed it because the grades just came out so I had to check. She wouldn't have given it back to me if I hadn't said that.
My uni library is open 24/7. My lectures don't start up properly until next week but my family have no idea what my schedule is. I'm debating just telling them I have lectures and going to uni, then turning off my phone and sitting in the library to work, but I feel guilty about it, I'm a really bad liar, and I'm not sure I can pull this off.
Should I just suck it up and get on with it? Or should I fake the lectures?
Yes i think in this situation lying is perfectly appropriate, say you've got a group project you have to do. I would also do some research on any options you have to move out once you're out as it seems that your mam isn't going to change her attitude so if you can leave it's a good idea for your own health.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?