The Student Room Group

Can I do a placement year between my second and first year?

Because if I do one between by second and third, I will do badly in my last year, which is the year that counts towards my degree
Original post by dancemacabre
Because if I do one between by second and third, I will do badly in my last year, which is the year that counts towards my degree

you'll have to ask your uni
Between second and third year is the usual time to do a placement year. However, if you can secure a placement between your first and second year, you may be able to talk to your university and take an interruption of studies to do a placement then- however, this would be entirely at your university's discretion.

It may also be difficult to find a company to take you at this stage.

If your course offers a formal placement year between years 2 and 3, there's unlikely to be much flexibility on this- but talk to your university and see what they say.
The usual situation is doing it before your final year and on average year in industry students score higher overall than non-industry students so I think you're wrong about doing worse in your last year as a result of it. Granted that this doesn't account for industry students likely being higher scorers and the likelihood of higher scores during your year in industry, however I still think people generally get higher scores after their year in industry based upon anecdotal evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest