Do I have enough work experience for Veterinary Medicine Watch

TSR_User2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am planning to apply to veterinary this year (Autumn 2019) before then I would have

1 week at Veterinary Hospital
1 week at Veterinary clinic
1 week Equestrian Centre
4 days Diary Farm
1 week Mixed Vets
1 week Veterinary Lab
1 day Dog Groomers

1 week Cattery
1-2 days Pig + Poultry farm
Last edited by TSR_User2001; 3 weeks ago
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
The two at the bottom havent been confirmed btw.
(Original post by TSR_User2001)
I am planning to apply to veterinary this year (Autumn 2019) before then I would have

1 week at Veterinary Hospital
1 week at Veterinary clinic
1 week Equestrian Centre
1 week Diary Farm
1 week Mixed Vets
1 week Veterinary Lab
1 day Dog Groomers

1 week Cattery
1-2 days Pig + Poultry farm
stimtothesky
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where are you planning to apply? Have you filled every possible time from now to October with work experience?

What you have now looks good, you could do with some lambing but you’ve probably missed the season now. Maybe see if you can go to a sheep AI day so you have some experience with sheep.
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
Hi sorry forgot to mention the list up there includes what I have done and what will I be doing in the summer. I have already done the vet hospital, equestrian and dairy farm and will be doing the rest by October. I had an offer for lambing but got cancelled. I am trying to find experience with sheep aswell.

I am planning to apply at Liverpool, Bristol, Edinburgh and Keele/Harper.
(Original post by stimtothesky)
Where are you planning to apply? Have you filled every possible time from now to October with work experience?

What you have now looks good, you could do with some lambing but you’ve probably missed the season now. Maybe see if you can go to a sheep AI day so you have some experience with sheep.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi sorry forgot to mention the list up there includes what I have done and what will I be doing in the summer. I have already done the vet hospital, equestrian and dairy farm and will be doing the rest by October. I had an offer for lambing but got cancelled. I am trying to find experience with sheep aswell.

I am planning to apply at Liverpool, Bristol, Edinburgh and Keele/Harper.
Okay so obviously I don’t know much about Keele/Harper, and I didn’t apply to Bristol so I don’t know much about there (although I believe you get full marks for WEX if you have 4 weeks clinical and 4 weeks husbandry, which you almost have). I did apply to and get offers from Liverpool and Edinburgh this year (I had ~17 weeks of work experience).

Liverpool requires 5 weeks on paper. Worth mentioning that each placement must be longer than 2 days (so your dog grooming won’t be counted) and only 5 days of a single placement can be included in the questionnaire. Your experience should be more than enough to get an interview there. Take a look at here for their up to date information: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/veterina...ve-applicants/

Edinburgh asks for as much work experience as possible. They like variety, so your vet lab experience and pig/poultry if you get it will be perfect. Maybe see if you can get an abattoir placement as they recommend this.

You have a good chance with what you have now, but if you want to improve your chances further I might try for a kennels (or at least the cattery that you mentioned) so you have small animal husbandry for Liverpool. Best of luck with your application!
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for the reply. What type of work experience did you do and there are no abattoirs in my area that do work experience. If you have any other tips please feel free to share. Thank you so much for the help and good luck with everything you do!
Okay so obviously I don’t know much about Keele/Harper, and I didn’t apply to Bristol so I don’t know much about there (although I believe you get full marks for WEX if you have 4 weeks clinical and 4 weeks husbandry, which you almost have). I did apply to and get offers from Liverpool and Edinburgh this year (I had ~17 weeks of work experience).

Liverpool requires 5 weeks on paper. Worth mentioning that each placement must be longer than 2 days (so your dog grooming won’t be counted) and only 5 days of a single placement can be included in the questionnaire. Your experience should be more than enough to get an interview there. Take a look at here for their up to date information: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/veterina...ve-applicants/

Edinburgh asks for as much work experience as possible. They like variety, so your vet lab experience and pig/poultry if you get it will be perfect. Maybe see if you can get an abattoir placement as they recommend this.

You have a good chance with what you have now, but if you want to improve your chances further I might try for a kennels (or at least the cattery that you mentioned) so you have small animal husbandry for Liverpool. Best of luck with your application!
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi thanks for the reply. What type of work experience did you do and there are no abattoirs in my area that do work experience. If you have any other tips please feel free to share. Thank you so much for the help and good luck with everything you do!
Here’s my work experience in roughly time order:

Spoiler:
Show

Red = clinical, blue = husbandry, bold = I talked about at interview, italic = I mentioned in my personal statement

1 week at a small animal clinic (one vet, first opinion, 8 Saturdays)
2 weeks at a small animal hospital (first opinion)
2 weeks at an animal rescue (every Saturday for a year, exotic, equine, small and farm animals)
2 weeks at a small animal and exotic hospital (first opinion, a few months of Saturdays, then one week block)
3 weeks at a small 80 cow beef farm and livery (on the same site- also the first time I ever stepped foot on a working farm)
2 days lambing at a 300ish sheep farm
1 week lambing at a 450ish sheep farm
1 week dairy at a high yield, indoor, 1800ish cattle farm (including calving)
2 days at an equine and small animal clinic (first opinion)
1 week at a zoo
2 weeks at a mixed practice (first opinion, my favourite clinical experience)
1 week over a year of odd days at a pig/sheep farm (the same I did 2 days lambing at)

That works out as 17 weeks total, 9.5 husbandry and 7.5 clinical.

That was before I applied, but I haven’t stopped! I love it so since October 2018 I’ve done:

Spoiler:
Show

3 days at a small animal practice
1 week lambing (split over Dec 2018 and Feb 2019)
1 week pigs
1 week sheep- AI days, vaccinations, wormers

And I have some more pigs/sheep planned for summer, as well as a month at a monkey sanctuary in Cornwall (which I’m really really excited about).

That’ll all take me to about 25 weeks before I go to vet school, which I think will stand me in good stead and I’d really recommend continuing your experience even if it doesn’t count towards applications (and you can talk about some things in interview).

For more general advice:

Spoiler:
Show

Work experience:

You probably know this by now but: call and email anywhere and everywhere, be prepared to have to go a long way on public transport, and make sure you keep notes after each day!

Ask questions, always offer to help but don’t do things without being asked, and above all be enthusiastic.

Personal statement:

Vet personal statements need to be mostly work experience. I don’t think I can give you my personal statement on here yet, but if you PM me I can send you a copy. Basically talk about what you are passionate about, without using words/phrases like 'passion', 'fire', 'since I was 5'.

There’s a lot of ways to attack the personal statement, personally I went for why I want to be a vet in the first paragraph, 2-3 paragraphs on work experience, 1 paragraph on my EPQ, and a very small section on extra curriculars and conclusion.

To get started I just wrote my introduction without caring if it was any good- then refined it from that starting point and got in a flow for the rest. It took weeks but I was quite happy after drafting and redrafting a thousand times...

Make sure you’re happy to talk about anything you put in your personal statement. It’s good to talk about ethics, but don’t give an example you aren’t comfortable talking about! You are very space limited so make sure every single sentence is worth being there- you need to be brutal cutting it down, and don’t worry about paragraphing too much! All you need to show is good English and a determination/passion towards vet med- that should get you to the next hurdle!

Interview:

This is different based on each uni obviously. Some general advice would be: do some further reading on a topic you like (articles in journals, books, etc), look over your work experience notes, and read about animal welfare. It’s useful to know how to evaluate welfare- the basics of body condition scoring, the five freedoms, animal welfare law- and definitely try and find some practice at evaluating animal welfare based on a picture/description of a situation.

My top two tips would be:
If you don’t know straight away, think out loud!
Always give two sides when discussing data, ethics, welfare- pretty much everything!

I have much much more to say about all of this- but I’ve tried to streamline, and if you have any questions just ask!

There are definitely more knowledgeable people out there and don’t just rely on this- but I’ve tried to tell you everything important that I know (although I could carry on for hours longer)! Hopefully you’ve already seen the stickies at the top of the forum- if not, they’re well worth a read. Hope this helped and isn’t too rambly!
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your reply. Helps a lot. Looking at your work experience I feel my work experience is minimal compared to yours. Just wondering which uni are you going to
Here’s my work experience in roughly time order:

Spoiler:
Show

Red = clinical, blue = husbandry, bold = I talked about at interview, italic = I mentioned in my personal statement

1 week at a small animal clinic (one vet, first opinion, 8 Saturdays)
2 weeks at a small animal hospital (first opinion)
2 weeks at an animal rescue (every Saturday for a year, exotic, equine, small and farm animals)
2 weeks at a small animal and exotic hospital (first opinion, a few months of Saturdays, then one week block)
3 weeks at a small 80 cow beef farm and livery (on the same site- also the first time I ever stepped foot on a working farm)
2 days lambing at a 300ish sheep farm
1 week lambing at a 450ish sheep farm
1 week dairy at a high yield, indoor, 1800ish cattle farm (including calving)
2 days at an equine and small animal clinic (first opinion)
1 week at a zoo
2 weeks at a mixed practice (first opinion, my favourite clinical experience)
1 week over a year of odd days at a pig/sheep farm (the same I did 2 days lambing at)

That works out as 17 weeks total, 9.5 husbandry and 7.5 clinical.

That was before I applied, but I haven’t stopped! I love it so since October 2018 I’ve done:

Spoiler:
Show

3 days at a small animal practice
1 week lambing (split over Dec 2018 and Feb 2019)
1 week pigs
1 week sheep- AI days, vaccinations, wormers

And I have some more pigs/sheep planned for summer, as well as a month at a monkey sanctuary in Cornwall (which I’m really really excited about).

That’ll all take me to about 25 weeks before I go to vet school, which I think will stand me in good stead and I’d really recommend continuing your experience even if it doesn’t count towards applications (and you can talk about some things in interview).

For more general advice:

Spoiler:
Show

Work experience:

You probably know this by now but: call and email anywhere and everywhere, be prepared to have to go a long way on public transport, and make sure you keep notes after each day!

Ask questions, always offer to help but don’t do things without being asked, and above all be enthusiastic.

Personal statement:

Vet personal statements need to be mostly work experience. I don’t think I can give you my personal statement on here yet, but if you PM me I can send you a copy. Basically talk about what you are passionate about, without using words/phrases like 'passion', 'fire', 'since I was 5'.

There’s a lot of ways to attack the personal statement, personally I went for why I want to be a vet in the first paragraph, 2-3 paragraphs on work experience, 1 paragraph on my EPQ, and a very small section on extra curriculars and conclusion.

To get started I just wrote my introduction without caring if it was any good- then refined it from that starting point and got in a flow for the rest. It took weeks but I was quite happy after drafting and redrafting a thousand times...

Make sure you’re happy to talk about anything you put in your personal statement. It’s good to talk about ethics, but don’t give an example you aren’t comfortable talking about! You are very space limited so make sure every single sentence is worth being there- you need to be brutal cutting it down, and don’t worry about paragraphing too much! All you need to show is good English and a determination/passion towards vet med- that should get you to the next hurdle!

Interview:

This is different based on each uni obviously. Some general advice would be: do some further reading on a topic you like (articles in journals, books, etc), look over your work experience notes, and read about animal welfare. It’s useful to know how to evaluate welfare- the basics of body condition scoring, the five freedoms, animal welfare law- and definitely try and find some practice at evaluating animal welfare based on a picture/description of a situation.

My top two tips would be:
If you don’t know straight away, think out loud!
Always give two sides when discussing data, ethics, welfare- pretty much everything!

I have much much more to say about all of this- but I’ve tried to streamline, and if you have any questions just ask!

There are definitely more knowledgeable people out there and don’t just rely on this- but I’ve tried to tell you everything important that I know (although I could carry on for hours longer)! Hopefully you’ve already seen the stickies at the top of the forum- if not, they’re well worth a read. Hope this helped and isn’t too rambly!
Last edited by TSR_User2001; 3 weeks ago
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had a lot of work experience compared to some people I know who have offers so don’t worry too much! I’m going to Edinburgh and Nottingham is my insurance. I rejected offers from Cambridge and Liverpool. Edinburgh is the best! (for me, obviously some would disagree)

I think as long as you’ve done everything you can in the 18 months before this October you’ll be fine.
Thank you so much for your reply. Helps a lot. Looking at your work experience I feel my work experience is minimal compared to yours. Just wondering which uni are you going to
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
Ok thank you so much for your help. I got ur PM but its not allowing me to reply to u on there. Thanks again
I had a lot of work experience compared to some people I know who have offers so don’t worry too much! I’m going to Edinburgh and Nottingham is my insurance. I rejected offers from Cambridge and Liverpool. Edinburgh is the best! (for me, obviously some would disagree)

I think as long as you’ve done everything you can in the 18 months before this October you’ll be fine.
buzzyambee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hiya, that should a good amount as long as you make sure you ask lots of questions and keep a record of things you've learnt you have more than enough!

I applied in October 2018 and have 4 offers, and although I had about 25 weeks when I applied it really didn't matter that much/make me stand out that much! Especially since on the WEX forms the unis give you there's a limited number of placements you can put.
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
Hi, yes I do keep a log of everything and also have a Google Docs backup just incase. I am working out a week at a local zoo and also trying to find some at a pet fish store.
(Original post by buzzyambee)
Hiya, that should a good amount as long as you make sure you ask lots of questions and keep a record of things you've learnt you have more than enough!

I applied in October 2018 and have 4 offers, and although I had about 25 weeks when I applied it really didn't matter that much/make me stand out that much! Especially since on the WEX forms the unis give you there's a limited number of placements you can put.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?