Extracurriculars for aspiring lawyers Watch

day_dreamer1909
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I want to study law at oxford and I was wondering what kind of extracurriculars I should do during year 12 for your ucas application and for your personal statement. Also what kind of things should I include in my PS for me to have a good chance as I know oxford is very competitive. What kind of volunteering/work experience/ clubs (such as debating) and reading should I do.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just read the newspapers and legal blogs on current issues relating to the law. It’s an academic course. If you want to be super keen then have a look at the sort of research that the academics in the universities that you’re considering are working on, attend public lectures etc. The point is to follow your academic interests and curiosity so that you can convey genuine interest and enthusiasm for the subject.
goldilocks12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some work experience or a conference would really help your application. If you have connections to any lawyers you could ask them for a few days of shadowing or something. The “very short introduction to” books might have some law related ones you could read (have a look online or in libraries). As someone previously said blogs, books, articles etc are also really good to read.
day_dreamer1909
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
ok thanks and could you list more ideas of wider reading books

(Original post by goldilocks12)
Some work experience or a conference would really help your application. If you have connections to any lawyers you could ask them for a few days of shadowing or something. The “very short introduction to” books might have some law related ones you could read (have a look online or in libraries). As someone previously said blogs, books, articles etc are also really good to read.
goldilocks12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by day_dreamer1909)
ok thanks and could you list more ideas of wider reading books
I’m not a law student, I just have friends who are, but if you google things like ‘books for law personal statement’ or something about an area of law that really interests you then you should get lots of ideas. Maybe check out the course page on the oxford or Cambridge website and click resources, that’s sometimes helpful too.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by goldilocks12; 3 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You do not need work experience for an academic law degree. A law degree is not vocational - you do a second qualification as a postgrad to become a solicitor or a barrister. If you want to know more about what possible careers in law involve then it might be useful - but that’s about you making the right career choices not about improving your chances of an offer for a law degree.

https://www.myheplus.com/post-16/subjects/law Has some starting points for further reading (but current affairs/news is the most important thing to take an active interest in)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads