The Student Room Group

Doubts regarding International Foundation Year in the UK

I've a few questions regarding International Foundation Year in the UK. I'd be glad if you answered them.

1) Are International Foundation courses in the UK worth it?
2) Will I be promoted to First Year in the same university after successfully completing Foundation Year?
3) How good is Kaplan International Pathways for Foundation Courses?
Original post by vishaakhv
I've a few questions regarding International Foundation Year in the UK. I'd be glad if you answered them.

1) Are International Foundation courses in the UK worth it?
2) Will I be promoted to First Year in the same university after successfully completing Foundation Year?
3) How good is Kaplan International Pathways for Foundation Courses?

1) Potentially, if it's the only way of accessing the degree you want to do.

2) You need to check this with the university you have a place at- progression is not always automatic and you often have to apply for a place via UCAS for first year at the very least.

3) I've never heard of Kaplan International Pathways, but from a quick look on their website, their fees seem very high and I don't think there would be any guarantee of progression to an undergraduate degree. If you can get a place on a foundation year associated with a particular uni, this would be a better route.

Hope this helps a bit!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
1) Potentially, if it's the only way of accessing the degree you want to do.

2) You need to check this with the university you have a place at- progression is not always automatic and you often have to apply for a place via UCAS for first year at the very least.

3) I've never heard of Kaplan International Pathways, but from a quick look on their website, their fees seem very high and I don't think there would be any guarantee of progression to an undergraduate degree. If you can get a place on a foundation year associated with a particular uni, this would be a better route.

Hope this helps a bit!

Could you please rephrase your second point? It's quite incoherent.

Thank you for your response!

SarcAndSpark is very clear.

You need to check with both Kaplan AND the university you want to attend to find out whether you are guaranteed a place on your chosen degree course after completing an IFY.

I think it's fairly clear, but it might not be if you're not familiar with the UK applications system.

Progression from a foundation year to year 1 is not usually automatic unless the foundation year is integrated into a degree.

Even if the uni promises you a place, you will usually have to apply via UCAS (the central system for UK applications).

You will need to contact the university directly to ask them how transferring to first year will work.
Will British Council in India be able to help me out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending