motivatedmadman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
im currently on a 8 but im getting little help from school (my experienced teacher left) and now its just trainees so I dont feel like im developing enough to get into that top band. any ideas on resources or activities I should do to get a grade 9? thank you
anon34443
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
bump
CloverAsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you have the GCSE revision guide, I find that pretty helpful. A good half of the paper is also creative writing, so try and practise writing in different formats and getting comfortable writing short, captivating stories/descriptions. Try and get good at both, if possible. I always practised descriptions because that was my strong point, but in the exam the picture was so awful there was nothing much to describe so I had to write a story instead. Going through past practice papers really helps!
Rebekah_951
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by motivatedmadman)
im currently on a 8 but im getting little help from school (my experienced teacher left) and now its just trainees so I dont feel like im developing enough to get into that top band. any ideas on resources or activities I should do to get a grade 9? thank you
Mr Salles English is a great channel better than Mr Bruff for english language. Practise questions would be my best advice, because the question stems are the same no matter the context of the extract.
Q5 is worth half the paper so practise writing creatively and doing stories. Personally I can't write stories without going off on a tangent about something irrelevant, so I always do the picture regardless. So to practice, I just choose a random scenery or persons face and I describe it. Also remember set phrases to include in this question, this will help a lot when you run out of things to say in the exam!!
SchmuckOff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would write a story for all descriptions/themes you think can come up and try and remember what you wrote , I've been doing that and it works a dream. The first Half I never get more than 32-33 so it's literally just practice and practice.
(Original post by motivatedmadman)
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Moved to English.
Claud_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Definitely practise writing creatively using a clear structure. Try and complete the story or article etc ALWAYS because you can get marked down if not finished or rushed ending.
Memorise language techniques, e.g AFORREST
If you can, try to include connectives in essays such as, "therefore", "in addition" and "furthermore"
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SchmuckOff)
I would write a story for all descriptions/themes you think can come up and try and remember what you wrote , I've been doing that and it works a dream. The first Half I never get more than 32-33 so it's literally just practice and practice.
Under pressure, it can be difficult to remember what you may have written. Also, it is difficult to get such extensive coverage. I would recommend learning to write creatively.

motivatedmadman, as someone who achieved the feat in 2018, practising creative writing can definitely yield much better results. Near the end of my time in the upper fifth, I consistently gained full credit or close to that. And in the exam, my writing piece wasn't marked down at all (not that I think it was perfect, but that's just what the breakdown shows).
alan55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Focus on your weak sides and do the hardest task first. English is my second language and I used to apply to professionals on https://uk.edusson.com/ to help me with my writings and check my works for grammar and spelling errors. They helped me to get the highest score in the class in writings. With the time my English got better.
Last edited by alan55; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (221)
67.79%
No (105)
32.21%

Watched Threads