gmrm34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. so I am someone who struggles with finding a job. I have not worked for some years since leaving school, although I did have a couple part time/temp jobs. I really would like to get a proper job where I can earn money but I am having issue after issue. I am not very good at a CV, plus it needs to be changed for every job. and I do not know how to do a cover letter. Please do not mention job agencies as that did not work for me. Does anybody have any suggestions in particular, of companies where the CV is not the most important thing? Many thanks.
Ridgerunner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of companies rely on online application forms rather than CVs, but they are actually often far more detailed and extensive that a CV and covering letter is. Every application to any job still needs tailoring to the role you're applying for though, just using a generic document or answers won't get you anywhere so you need to accept that you'll spend a good deal of time changing your letter / cv / application statements for each job you apply for. You need to really convey your enthusiasm for the role, plus suitability and demonstrate that you have done your research on the organisation and the job itself. Do you have a friend or family member who can help with your CV? Failing that there are plenty of templates and examples online.

Lots of retail and basic jobs don't ask for much beyond qualification and work experience details, plus references. I'd start by going for one of these types of jobs even as a starter to whatever it is that you eventually want to pursue as it's so much easier to get a job when you're already working in one and demonstrating that you're a good employee than to get a job from the standpoint of never having worked. If you can't get a job role at all then spend time volunteering so that you can obtain a good reference that way.
gmrm34
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. Is it worth paying someone to help me apply or is it do able myself do you think? No one in my family can help with that. Surely if everyone can get a job then they could do the applications part that I'm struggling with?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gmrm34)
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. Is it worth paying someone to help me apply or is it do able myself do you think? No one in my family can help with that. Surely if everyone can get a job then they could do the applications part that I'm struggling with?
There's a CV help forum on TSR that can help. Find it, open up a thread, upload your CV as a Word doc and say what job you are applying for and it can be made more competitive and you can be taught how to read a job advert so tailoring becomes easier.
gmrm34
Rep:
?
My cv was not written by me Someone helped me do it. I'm a little confused. I need open a thread and attach my cv with some jobs I would like to apply, Is this correct?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gmrm34)
My cv was not written by me Someone helped me do it. I'm a little confused. I need open a thread and attach my cv with some jobs I would like to apply, Is this correct?
Yes, the forum will look empty to you, because it's a private forum. BUt start a new thread, upload your CV as a Word doc, and say what job you've written it for, and someone will be along to give advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed