Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky wins presidency by landslide Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
'Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky has scored a landslide victory in the country's presidential election.
With nearly all ballots counted in the run-off vote, Mr Zelensky had taken more than 73% with incumbent Petro Poroshenko trailing far behind on 24%.'

'Mr Zelensky, a political novice, is best known for starring in a satirical television series Servant of the People, in which his character accidentally becomes Ukrainian president.'

Thoughts? Personally I want Peter Capaldi to become prime minister of the UK as he starred in the Thick of It and was a rather effective director of communications.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48007487
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
He doesn't sound like a very pleasant chap :/

Zelensky stated in April 2019 that "of course" he supports the decommunization of Ukraine.[55][50] In an interview with RBC-Ukraine in April 2019, Zelensky said that Stepan Bandera, a controversial Ukrainian nationalist leader, was "a hero for a certain part of Ukrainians, and this is a normal and cool thing. He was one of those who defended the freedom of Ukraine. But I think that when we name so many streets, bridges by the same name, this is not quite right."[56]
Stephan Bandera is a Nazi collaborationist and war criminal. Wiki

I think it is important to defend Ukraine against Russian aggression, but I'm not happy about how normalized far-right views are in the Ukrainian independence movement.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The President of Ukraine is head of state, not head of government. Executive and governmental powers are invested, effectively, in the Prime Minister.

So it's not really that significant.
TheProctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Amazing. He will do great, love that guy.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

I think it is important to defend Ukraine against Russian aggression, but I'm not happy about how normalized far-right views are in the Ukrainian independence movement.
Worth pointing out a couple of things:
- Zelensky is Jewish, so I think serious claims of him having Nazi sympathies are dubious.
- Poroshenko ran on a much more nationalist platform than Zelensky. Poro centred his campaign around religious devotion (emphasising that he was the President who won Ukrainian Orthodox Church independence), military credentials (regularly campaigned in military uniform, and pushed an image of himself as the defender of the country against the Russian invasion for 5 years), and language reform (Poroshenko has strengthened the official status of Ukrainian over Russian and other minority languages). "Faith, Army, Language" was one of his major slogans.
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I think it is important to defend Ukraine against Russian aggression, but I'm not happy about how normalized far-right views are in the Ukrainian independence movemen
I guess Ukrainians will just have to cope with that knowledge then. ☺️

Meantime perhaps it's another sign of the onward march around the world of people turning away from perceived establishment/professional politicians.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Worth pointing out a couple of things:
- Zelensky is Jewish, so I think serious claims of him having Nazi sympathies are dubious.
- Poroshenko ran on a much more nationalist platform than Zelensky. Poro centred his campaign around religious devotion (emphasising that he was the President who won Ukrainian Orthodox Church independence), military credentials (regularly campaigned in military uniform, and pushed an image of himself as the defender of the country against the Russian invasion for 5 years), and language reform (Poroshenko has strengthened the official status of Ukrainian over Russian and other minority languages). "Faith, Army, Language" was one of his major slogans.
Huh. Well then he's definitely the better choice.

I think I misread Poroshenko as the pro-Russian president they revolted against.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I think you have to understand just how (rightly) hated communism is in Ukraine. It brought death and suffering. So while Stephan Bandera may not objectively a good man, for many a Ukrainian any man who fought against communism is a hero.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If capaldi became prime minister, at least I will learn some new swear words
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No worse than his corrupt predecessor...

And yet a celebrated hero under the current regime, interesting no?
I think it is important to defend Ukraine against Russian aggression,
Why? I mean this presupposes that Russia is actually being 'aggressive' as opposed to 'defensive' a view which, once you look past the propaganda churned out by Washington and London, is actually much more believable.
but I'm not happy about how normalized far-right views are in the Ukrainian independence movement.
I assume you mean neo-nazi views? Far rights tend to be little more than oiks whilst the Ukrainians have a thriving nazi scene high up in politics these days.[/quote]

I think I misread Poroshenko as the pro-Russian president they revolted against.
*some revolted against*
Ukraine is effectively two countries - east and west. The west might have staged a coup against him but he was still relatively popular in the East. Especially when the corrupt tycoon Poroshenko designated the entire east of the country as terrorists and proceeded to launch Grad rockets and air strikes at them.
Say what you will about so called Russian games in this but this crisis was one born out of the dysfunction of Ukraine itself and to try and keep blaming it all on Russia is not just idiotic but its wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (38)
5.76%
Fairly positive (216)
32.73%
Just another year... (260)
39.39%
Is it 2020 yet? (146)
22.12%

Watched Threads