The Student Room Group

Make me revise

Possibly a silly topic but I really need to get revising, but just can't. I've had my first 9 or so exams and all the revision was last minute, but never the less I still think they went okay, but I've just wasted the past week doing nothing, leaving only 6 days till my exams start again. I have to revise for English Lang, History, French, Chemistry and Physics!

I try to revise but I literally can't. The computer is right next to me in my room so I might do a couple of minutes, but then I'll get distracted by MSN or just log onto TSR or do anything but revise!

Does anyone else have a similar issue? If so how can I get over it!!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
turn the computer off, go somewhere else to revise
feel the same way m8
Just realise that you've got loads of exams you NEED to revise for otherwise you're screwed
Reply 4
i have the same problem, the computer is right in front of me and i have serious distraction issues. the best way i find is to get someone in your family to change your password so you cant go on it and then there is nothing left to do but revise. does anyone have any tips on revision techniques?
Reply 5
Look at it this way, the exams are only temporary and after them you can relax a bit. It's worth putting in a couple of weeks hard work to get you through your exams. Stay away from the computer/TV or anything else that is likely to distract you.
just think of the rewards
Reply 7
Meh, they're only GCSEs and you can get through them with the minimal amount of revision. :p:

Probably not what you wanted to hear :redface:.

Nah, in all seriousness - turn the PC off, unplug the modem (or however it is you disconnect your internet), get out the books and sit down and study. Work for half an hour/forty five minutes with a fifteen minute break in between, and use this to get some fresh air. Think of the benefits of the exams.
Reply 8
Ok heres the results day scenario can be you either like this....
Ecstatic: :eek: :biggrin: :party: :bang:

Or...

The ****** feeling lol: :embarasse :puke:

I'm finding it hard to motivate myself currently but all I do is think of results day and it motivates me :biggrin:
Reply 9
if i am perfectly honest, so far i have been cruising through life getting honestly crap grades. so i never really learned how to revise properly, but now it ocmes to GCSE's i have some good notes but im not sure how to revise them well enough to get a good grade, plz help!
memorise your notes. Do past papers
you will get good grades then
Reply 11
falconath
if i am perfectly honest, so far i have been cruising through life getting honestly crap grades. so i never really learned how to revise properly, but now it ocmes to GCSE's i have some good notes but im not sure how to revise them well enough to get a good grade, plz help!

Hi I had the same problem a few months ago I was getting poor grades in my mocks..A mate of mine suggested Flash Cards to me.You get the notes you want to write up then you condense them into readable memorable notes...like memory joggers.I have done this with all my theory based subjects and I read through them 5 times a day thats all.

Don't write too much on the cards or you won't learn the notes properly.
Also try writing up some brainstorms or mind maps
:biggrin:
Nayberay
Ok heres the results day scenario can be you either like this....
Ecstatic: :eek: :biggrin: :party: :bang:

Or...

The ****** feeling lol: :embarasse :puke:

I'm finding it hard to motivate myself currently but all I do is think of results day and it motivates me :biggrin:

you see, that doesn't motivate me at all.
what motivates me is just forcing myself to sit and do something, but it has to interest me otherwise i get bored. like i couldn't sit and just read something, i'll have to highlight the textbook in pretty pictures and copy it out. OP maybe if you just force yourself to get started, then you're half way there
Reply 13
SpiritedAway
you see, that doesn't motivate me at all.
what motivates me is just forcing myself to sit and do something, but it has to interest me otherwise i get bored. like i couldn't sit and just read something, i'll have to highlight the textbook in pretty pictures and copy it out. OP maybe if you just force yourself to get started, then you're half way there

Lol we all have different motivations..My friends motivation to get straight A*'s is a big lump sum of money off her parents..mine is a sort of peace of mind thing..
But I agree sometimes I just force myself to get on with the work..
Nayberay
Lol we all have different motivations..My friends motivation to get straight A*'s is a big lump sum of money off her parents..mine is a sort of peace of mind thing..
But I agree sometimes I just force myself to get on with the work..

yeah same here. i revise for my ASs for a peace of mind thing. but the GCSEs i found made me procrastonate even more than i do now, because even though the GCSEs required little effort imo, i didn't enjoy some of my subjects. but because i do subjects that i enjoy now, it isn't too much of a chore really.
I look at my ticker and know there is only 16 days of hell to go, then 11 weeks of happiness if my grades are good...
Reply 16
REVISE NOW!

I shall stop being a hypocrite :]

But I get guilty and start revising when I talk to friends and find that they doing a googleplex time more revision than me... you could try that.
Reply 17
KnightRider
Possibly a silly topic but I really need to get revising, but just can't. I've had my first 9 or so exams and all the revision was last minute, but never the less I still think they went okay, but I've just wasted the past week doing nothing, leaving only 6 days till my exams start again. I have to revise for English Lang, History, French, Chemistry and Physics!

I try to revise but I literally can't. The computer is right next to me in my room so I might do a couple of minutes, but then I'll get distracted by MSN or just log onto TSR or do anything but revise!

Does anyone else have a similar issue? If so how can I get over it!!

Go on the Ask a Mod forum and ask them to ban you from TSR until the end of your exams. I did it at the start of the exam period, and will probably do so again in a couple of days as my exams re-start.

Seriously, go and do it. Failing that, ask your parents to confiscate your computer.
get the hell off tsr you lazy ****

Don't end up feeling like me. That's all I can say. (The signature says the rest...)

Quick Reply

Latest