Changed your mind about your UCAS choices? Watch

SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Have you chosen your firm/insurance and now you’re regretting your choices?

Are you about to choose and scared about being locked in when you might change your mind before September?

Don’t worry! UCAS knows that choosing your choices can be tricky and so there are options available to you!

Did you choose your firm and insurance in the last 14 days?

Due to distance selling rules, you’re allowed to change your mind about any of your UCAS responses within 14 days. If you phone UCAS directly, they will be able to swap your replies for you!

There’s no need to contact universities directly, unless you’ve signed up for accommodation etc and need to cancel this.

Did you choose your firm and insurance more than 14 days ago?

Don’t panic. It may still be possible to swap your replies. It’s a slightly more complicated process, as you’ll need all the unis involved to agree, but you can swap your choices around until 23rd July 2019.

Step 1: Contact UCAS and explain what you want to do. This way they can put a note on your file and support you through the process.

Step 2: Contact the uni you now want to be your firm and explain you would like to make them your firm choice. If they are happy to do this, then get confirmation in writing (an email should be fine).

Step 3: Contact the uni you want to replace and explain the situation. Be polite and explain the circumstances involved. Ask for confirmation in writing that they are happy for this to go ahead.

Step 4: Contact UCAS and ask them to arrange the swap. It’s very likely they will ask you to forward on your written communication with universities.

Most unis will be willing to agree to a change of mind done in this way, especially if you have had a change in circumstances since making your choices. However, once an offer is taken off your UCAS, there is no easy way to get it back, so you do need to be sure about what you are doing!

What if I don’t want to go to university at all?

If you’ve changed your mind about going to uni this year, that’s fine too. It’s possible to withdraw your whole UCAS application, but this will also rule you out of clearing if you change your mind again. A better option might be to contact the universities you’ve firmed/insured and ask to be released from your offers.

Will there be any financial penalty to withdrawing from a uni place?

There’s no financial penalty to withdrawing/being released from a university offer. You’ve only committed to paying the fees once you have enrolled.

However, if you’ve signed up to accommodation, you may lose any deposits paid, or you may owe some money if you pull out. Check the small print before you sign up to any accommodation, especially if you’re not 100% sure you will want to take up the place. There are always options to find accommodation later on (e.g. private halls, private rentals), so don’t feel pressured into signing up for university accommodation!

Feel free to post any questions about changing your mind in this thread. It would also be great to hear people's experiences with this from previous years!
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 3 weeks ago
martaagc01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I choose a firm and insurance but then want to change my insurance to one that i had previously rejected, would i be able to get my offer back? (i'm scared i will need to go through this as i don't know still which uni i prefer)
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by martaagc01)
If I choose a firm and insurance but then want to change my insurance to one that i had previously rejected, would i be able to get my offer back? (i'm scared i will need to go through this as i don't know still which uni i prefer)
Essentially No. Once you choose your Firm and Insurance that's it - your other offers all disappear and you can't 'get them back'.

The only exception is if you change your mind within 10 days of making that decision - see OP above.

Btw, its very common to instantly think you have done the wrong thing - chosen the wrong Uni or wrong course, and panic.
If you sleep on it, you may realise that actually you did make the right choice (or realise that feeling nervous about going to Uni is actually whats bothering you, not *that* Uni, etc).

So - don't all rush to the phones and start demanding a change of Uni/course/year! Just because other people are doing it, this doesnt mean you have to. Live with your decision - and remember, this isnt a 'final decision'. There is always the option of not going to Uni this year - you can withdraw your entire application at any point and just start again in September with an entirely fresh application. This can give you valuable thinking time to rethink 'which Uni' or 'which subject/course' calmly and carefully. Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Kocytean
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Will there be any financial penalty to withdrawing from a uni place?

There’s financial penalty to withdrawing/being released from a university offer. You’ve only committed to paying the fees once you have enrolled.
Unfortunate typo somewhat changed your intended meaning here.
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by martaagc01)
If the university concerned agreed (and your current firm and insurance agree to the switch) then yes.
Dumboears
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What happens if ive been rejected by a university and put on the waiting list and they offer me a place. Ive already firmed my insurance
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dumboears)
What happens if ive been rejected by a university and put on the waiting list and they offer me a place. Ive already firmed my insurance
You would need to speak to the university that has you on their waiting list to ask their advice. Ucas doesn’t support waiting lists so any universities operating one is responsible for working out how to make it work within the ucas system
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dumboears)
Waiting Lists and Reserve Lists operate outside of UCAS - as PQ has already said UCAS don't really approve of them but they are an informal agreement between Universities for subjects like Medicine, Dentistry etc where there are a very strict cap on numbers.

If you were interviewed but didnt quite make the cut for an offer a University may put you on a Waiting/Reserve List IF (and only IF) you are NOT holding an offer for a 'professional course' (ie, Med/Dent etc). If, on Results Day, a) you get the grades they want, b) they have spaces on the course, c) you havnt already been picked-up by another Med/Dent School, they will call you to offer you a place. ONLY at this point will UCAS get involved. The Uni will then tell you to decline any other place/offer you hold and then they will 'accept through Clearing' for the Med/Dent place.

So - you do not need to do anything now. If you agree to being on the List then sit tight and wait for Results Day. Then sit by the phone and keep your fingers crossed that they call you in August. If they dont, then you still have your current Firm/Insurance.

IMPORTANT - everyone else : it is up to the Universities to invite you to join any Wait/Reserve List, and usually this happens in May/June. Do NOT pester the University - its in their gift, not yours.
rosepower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On results day, if you get your firm, but change your mind and want to go to your insurance, is it possible to change?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rosepower)
On results day, if you get your firm, but change your mind and want to go to your insurance, is it possible to change?
No.

By the time UCAS Track reopens on Results Day morning, the Universities will already have made their decisions based on your results. If your Firm has accepted you, your Insurance will already have disappeared. You therefore need to contact UCAS about any 'switch' decision like this well before Results Day.

Read all of the information here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day
hannahsm1th
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi, I called up UCAS about 10 days ago about my deadline to change my options because i'm constantly changing my mind. She said I had until the 16th May because I firmed my options on 1st May. But surely this is 15 days? she didn't sound completely sure. anyone have any idea of when my actual deadline might be?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hannahsm1th)
hi, I called up UCAS about 10 days ago about my deadline to change my options because i'm constantly changing my mind. She said I had until the 16th May because I firmed my options on 1st May. But surely this is 15 days? she didn't sound completely sure. anyone have any idea of when my actual deadline might be?
Phone UCAS again.
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hannahsm1th)
She probably meant up-until 16th May. You have 14 days from the date the contract was made (i.e. when you firmed your offers). You therefore will need to make any changes before close of business on 15th May.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (257)
16.41%
It was TERRIBLE (219)
13.98%

Watched Threads