How far below grade requirements do unis usually go in clearing? Watch

aaronaag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Just kinda curious

Like if somebody could give me an idea who went through clearing themselves or just general trends for certain tiers of unis!

Thanks
Gurdeepthelegend
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on the course and the uni
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
----_----
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeh this is a good question lol
If anyone knows how far below unis accept for mech eng at "good" unis, lemme know pls
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ----_----)
If anyone knows how far below unis accept for mech eng at "good" unis, lemme know pls
Southampon Uni ask for A*AA for mechanical engineering and have done for many years yet keep accepting people in Clearing with AAB.

Why don't they reduce their stated requirement to AAA say, and get more applicants? :dontknow:
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Usually, it's not hugely lower- unis are more likely to make a big drop in grades for applicants who have already committed to the uni by firming them. They may be happy to accept applicants with a grade or two lower than their entry requirements, but if you are talking about unis asking for say AAA, they're unlikely to go much lower than BBB in clearing.

Although some unis in clearing are desperate to fill spaces, the sort of uni you're interested in probably isn't looking for a huge amount of extra students- but they are looking to pick up as many strong candidates as they can.

(Original post by harrysbar)
Southampon Uni ask for A*AA for mechanical engineering and have done for many years yet keep accepting people in Clearing with AAB.

Why don't they reduce their stated requirement to AAA say, and get more applicants? :dontknow:
It's a subtle marketing tactic. By asking for A*AA, they make themselves look more prestigious and encourage more applicants to firm them. And they know they can quite happily fill any spare spaces on results day. I think the entry requirements can also influence some league tables, or at least they used to.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's a subtle marketing tactic. By asking for A*AA, they make themselves look more prestigious and encourage more applicants to firm them. And they know they can quite happily fill any spare spaces on results day. I think the entry requirements can also influence some league tables, or at least they used to.
I get that it's a marketing tactic and they are trying to allign themselves with unis like Bath that genuinely do get a large cohort of A*AA students, but I also think they must discourage a lot of students who are hovering around the AAA/AAB mark who won't put them down because they think Southampton are out of their league when they're not.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

See if only I was that smart 3 years ago I got my pants pulled down when I got let in way below my entry requirements. I don’t regret the university as my end goal was reached but it’s so misleading.... my university advertised ABB-BBB when everyone I speak to got the equivalent of CCC.. It’s a great marketing tactic but boy does it ruin the unaware. :lol: it made the uni look better than my insurance just because my uni was less realistic about the entry requirements. :lol: Kinda feels like a scam.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I get that it's a marketing tactic and they are trying to allign themselves with unis like Bath that genuinely do get a large cohort of A*AA students, but I also think they must discourage a lot of students who are hovering around the AAA/AAB mark who won't put them down because they think Southampton are out of their league when they're not.
FWIW, I don't actually think unis should be allowed to publish entry requirements/standard offers they repeatedly drop below on results day.

I agree they probably do discourage some students around the AAA/AAB mark- but equally a lot of students in this bracket are encouraged to put down 1/2 "aspirational" choices asking for A*AA or higher. Southampton want to position themselves in this group, then, when an AAB student gets an offer, they feel more excited about it and are more likely to firm the uni. By firming the uni, the student makes an emotional commitment and is more likely to go to the uni. This is a genuine thing that I've heard/read admissions tutors saying they do.

The students they are targeting with this are not the super well informed/supported ones, but the ones who have a bit of knowledge about UCAS, but who's schools/parents haven't really kept up with the way that unis are "pressure selling" to students.

I agree, that if they advertised at AAB, they'd probably get more applicants for a few years, but I think they fear "damaging their brand" and becoming more of an insurance choice for those going for top tier unis, and then over time, they worry about getting less applications and becoming less popular. I'm not sure if they are right or not- but for the moment what they are doing seems to be working for them.

I'm definitely sure what they are doing isn't 100% ethical.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
See if only I was that smart 3 years ago I got my pants pulled down when I got let in way below my entry requirements. I don’t regret the university as my end goal was reached but it’s so misleading.... my university advertised ABB-BBB when everyone I speak to got the equivalent of CCC.. It’s a great marketing tactic but boy does it ruin the unaware. :lol: it made the uni look better than my insurance just because my uni was less realistic about the entry requirements. :lol: Kinda feels like a scam.
I agree, it seems a bit dishonest and unfair when some people know about certain unis overinflating their so called entry grades and other people take them at face value. UCAS is a minefield anyway and that doesn't help but lots of them are at it.

When advising applicants, you want to tell them to be aspirational since it is likely that a lot of unis will be flexible this year but at the same time, nothing's guaranteed so....
----_----
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you go on which uni and search for a specific course at a specific uni it says the average a level grades achieved by pupils on the course
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This video might be of interest to people on the thread- especially from about 3 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8

The guy talking is an admissions tutor for physics at University of Nottingham.

harrysbar
aaronaag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yeah thanks guys, the unis i've been accepted into for my politics and ir is manchester (AAB), Exeter (AAA), Warwick (AAA) and Southampton (BBB). Was mainly wondering for these, and seeing how much lower they go. Also i'd obvs be considering other unis if i'd have to go into clearing
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree, it seems a bit dishonest and unfair when some people know about certain unis overinflating their so called entry grades and other people take them at face value. UCAS is a minefield anyway and that doesn't help but lots of them are at it.

When advising applicants, you want to tell them to be aspirational since it is likely that a lot of unis will be flexible this year but at the same time, nothing's guaranteed so....
The thing is the worst are unconditional offers, when most A-level students are pooing themselves at the prospect of not getting the expected grades so they take a not as great university just to ensure they get in. However, I think complaints should be given to the advertising standards authority. :lol: My sixth form tutor told me don't apply because you won't get in because they were equally misled!!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you go on which uni and search for a specific course at a specific uni it says the average a level grades achieved by pupils on the course
That is a helpful suggestion (but I still think students get "scared off" unis like Southampton asking for A*AA and think they are a risky choice). And as SarcAndSpark says, not all applicants are well infomed (or even attend Open Days where Admissions staff will hint at the possibility of accepting people with near misses). Some applicants will just go off what it says on the website.
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are no firm 'rules' here, but general guidelines :

1. Any subjects that are 'high demand' are not likely to be in Clearing - especially at RG or other 'top' Unis for that subject : Economics, Politics, Law, Mech Eng. But these subjects may be in Clearing at 'other' Unis so look around/phone.

2. Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Vet are not usually in Clearing - because they interview and that is difficult/time consuming to do in August. Most Unis use a Reserve List for these subjects instead - those who were interviewed but didnt get an offer. But - in recent years, there have been interviews/offers at that stage so worth a call to 'lower' Med Schools but don't hold your breath.

3. Joint subjects degrees are more likely to be in Clearing than single subjects - especially obscure combinations, or anything combined with a Language. So, think laterally - Physics with French, Film Studies with Management may have spaces where the main subject wont.

4. Subjects that have unfamiliar names are more likely to be in Clearing - Hispanic Studies, Liberal Arts, Geology, Social Policy, Immunology - start looking at them now so you know what the subject is.

5. Humanities - even at top Unis - are now almost certain to be in Clearing. History, English, Music, Languages etc - it will be a buyers market with low grade offers all over the place.

6. There is a 'demographic dip' in the number of 17/18 year olds this year - ie. there will not be enough applicants to fill all places, so Universities may have to be more lenient with grades. Big emphasis on 'may' - don't assume that for your subject/\Uni that if you get D grades it'll be okay. All Unis will have lowest grades they will not go below - they will prefer not to fill the course than take people who have already proved they dont like hard work!.
AstronomyAustin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My friends from college got unconditional offers even though they barely turn up, are late to lessons, consistently handed in coursework late that wasn't even fully completed and like it annoys me so much because I worked so hard and didn't get the grade I wanted and didn't get to uni though it doesn't matter because I'm applying for a different course.

What universities are not getting involved with dodgy tactics? I believe nottingham made a video on this and said a lot of places are playing this game. Its a shame but understandable
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This video might be of interest to people on the thread- especially from about 3 minutes in.

harrysbar
I'm 4 years late but that was very insightful thank you wish I knew earlier! I like how honest he is, I would never of put a lower entry requirement uni as my firm. If I did then i'd get kicked by both my parents and the university.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 4 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
I'm 4 years late but that was very insightful thank you wish I knew earlier!
FWIW, 4 years ago, the system wasn't quite like this, so it might not have worked out in your favour.

Clearing is getting more and more vicious each year, as unis scrabble over less applicants (due to demographic and political changes) and have become more aware of how marketisation of higher education affects them.

Things have changed a lot in admissions over the last 5-10 years or so, and it's hard for students to keep up!
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
FWIW, 4 years ago, the system wasn't quite like this, so it might not have worked out in your favour.

Clearing is getting more and more vicious each year, as unis scrabble over less applicants (due to demographic and political changes) and have become more aware of how marketisation of higher education affects them.

Things have changed a lot in admissions over the last 5-10 years or so, and it's hard for students to keep up!
Honestly 4 years ago I was shocked by the leniency and I hope more people find out about the marketisation of higher education before they attend university... maybe I should of gone on TSR earlier. :lol:

This all started when the target of 50% participation in university was suggested like 20 years ago and universities expanded rapidly to accomodate and now that applicants are going down as other options which are not university have become more evident This vicious cycle is surely going to lead to at least some universities going broke but I just noticed I went completely off topic.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

harrysbar
That was interesting, what a nice guy he seems

I had a long talk with an Admissions tutor at Southampton a couple of years back and he pretty much admitted that they overinflate their actual requirements to look better but as he rightly pointed out, that's less dangerous than the unis who give out too many unconditional offers to "outstanding" applicants who haven't even sat their exams yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.15%
The paper was reasonable (396)
42.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.14%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.13%

Watched Threads