anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
“MgCl2 (s) + 4H20(l) —> MgCl2.4H2O. Calculate the enthalpy change for the absorption of water by MgCl2 (s) to form MgCl2.4H2O (s)”
The question gives you enthalpy of solution values (MgCl2 = -155, MgCl2.4H2O = -39). The markscheme says “-155-(-39)”. I don’t teally understand, how is this equation showing enthalpy of solution? I’m confused please help
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
“MgCl2 (s) + 4H20(l) —> MgCl2.4H2O. Calculate the enthalpy change for the absorption of water by MgCl2 (s) to form MgCl2.4H2O (s)”
The question gives you enthalpy of solution values (MgCl2 = -155, MgCl2.4H2O = -39). The markscheme says “-155-(-39)”. I don’t teally understand, how is this equation showing enthalpy of solution? I’m confused please help
The equation is NOT showing enthalpy of solution. It is showing a specific enthalpy change from anyhydrous to hydrated solid.

However, you can construct a Hess' cycle to use the enthalpy of solutions of both species to determine the required enthalpy change.

anhydrous salt == (aq) ==> solution <== (aq) == hydrated salt

So what is the enthalpy change from anhydrous salt to hydrated salt?
anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by charco)
The equation is NOT showing enthalpy of solution. It is showing a specific enthalpy change from anyhydrous to hydrated solid.

However, you can construct a Hess' cycle to use the enthalpy of solutions of both species to determine the required enthalpy change.

anhydrous salt == (aq) ==> solution <== (aq) == hydrated salt

So what is the enthalpy change from anhydrous salt to hydrated salt?
Thank you so much. Also? Why could the enthalpy change not be determined directly by calorimetry?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
Thank you so much. Also? Why could the enthalpy change not be determined directly by calorimetry?
How can you add exactly 4 moles of water molecules to 1 mole of anhydrous salt and expect the ionic structure to take up exactly four molecules of water per mole? And if it could happen, what would you measure?

It's an impossible situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (410)
67.43%
No (198)
32.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed