Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
B1491 – Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Amendment) Bill 2019, TSR Government
A
BILL
TO

amend the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 as to bring in the explicit prohibition of the use of netting, other than for approved conservation projects

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1(X)Definitions
For the purposes of this Bill,
(X) (1) ‘netting’ shall refer to open-meshed material, often made by knotting together twine, wire, rope or thread, and used with the intention to preventing or otherwise inhibiting the access of birds to the object to which it is placed upon.
(X) (2) ‘approved conservation projects’ shall refer to any use, circumstance or employment of netting to which explicit approval has been granted by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, or equivalent.

2(X)Protection of wild birds, their nests and eggs: netting
(1) In section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (herein, referred to as the “1981 Act”) (protection of wild birds, their nests and eggs), in subsection (1), after sub-paragraph (c) insert the following:-
(X) (X) (X) (d) places or attempts to place netting, other than for an approved conservation projects’, over a bush, tree, hedgerow or other plant reasonably assumed to be used as a nesting site for any wild bird,
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any action occurring or otherwise commenced prior to the day on which this section comes into force.

3(X)Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
(2) This act will come into force upon Royal Assent.
(3) This act may be cited as the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Amendment) Bill 2019.

Notes
Following the passage of petition 88, this Bill works to fulfil our obligations to the House, accordingly “ending the practice in the UK of bushes, trees, hedgerows and some other plants being covered by netting, usually as a precursor to their removal [for] this is a practice which denies birds nesting space, insects the opportunity to pollinate and therefore reduces biodiversity.”

This Bill amends the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 [1] to make the use of netting a criminal offence, subject to the remaining provisions of the 1981 Act.

[1] https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/section/1
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye - I believe this bill fully satisfies the desires expressed in P88.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll now support this now seeing as the little clause of ") (d) places or attempts to place netting, other than for an approved conservation projects’, over a bush, tree, hedgerow or other plant reasonably assumed to be used as a nesting site for any wild bird,". It's an Aye from me.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye. Changes made are more than acceptable.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you to the TSR Government for bringing this Bill to the House and I hope you will all support it.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye.

I have no objection to the government accepting the expressed will of the House on this occasion.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay, just because a bunch of people voted for it because "it's only a petition" doesn't make it any less dumb or harmful to wildlife.

If the actual action is endorsed by the majority it doesn't take those who voted against "respecting the will of the house" for it to pass again, the number are there regardless.
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 4 weeks ago
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye I don't see why not.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
Aye I don't see why not.
The fact that it does nothing to actually help the environment and if anything harms wildlife because the intention behind it is to allow birds to nest in trees and plants that are to be removed/moved? Alternatively it just hinders progress because it allows birds to nest and consequently whatever development is happening has to be stopped which slows down the expansion of the housing stock, or availability of school spaces or hospital beds as the developer has to wait for the bird to leave?
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(d) places or attempts to place netting, other than for an approved conservation projects, over a bush, tree, hedgerow or other plant reasonably assumed to be used as a nesting site for any wild bird,

Apostrophe not needed?

Beyond that, Section 1.2 is there to ensure that wildlife isn't harmed significantly by this legislation. It is unrealistic to expect no wildlife to ever be harmed by any practice or lack of practice by humans. We co-inhabit this Earth with millions of other species and everything we do affects others in some way, shape or form. To argue that one thing is harmful to a creature is to argue that the opposite is harmful to the same creature or a different one. It is hoped by the proposers of this petition and bill that this legislation will have a positive overall effect (I was tempted to say net benefit ) on wildlife, and if it doesn't, this will have to be carefully measured and reviewed in due course.

The house has clearly regarded the status quo as unacceptable, and therefore change be needed. I think this change is palatable, and thank the government for acting so swiftly.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise