lilstudent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello there.

I'm teaching myself R.S. and i'm really struggling with the Implications paper. I understand the essays but don't understand what the exam board are looking for in our answers. Is their anyone who could pass on some advice from teachers. Any information will be much welcomed.

Lil
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi lil, I'm doing this too but if its any consolation most schools and pupils dont know exactly what they are doing on this paper...its been a bit of a mess tbh.

All i can say is that in school we've gone through the essays and analysed what the guys are saying in relation to the topics we've covered - i.e: Ayer says religious language is meaningless so in section a) you can talk all about religious language and why its meaningless etc. section a) carries the most marks so its about your synoptic knowledge. So if there is a reference to religious experience for example, even in a paragraph that seems to be focused on religious language, highlight that point because it shows your rounded knowledge. So yeah, basically the questions will all be the same: a) Clarify what the writer is saying (easy enough - all knowledge based) and section b) - evaluate what he's saying, so do you agree? Have scholars agreed/disagreed?

Basically it is a chance to put all your R.S knowledge into one big exam.

Want to know anything else? I hope that helps =]
wytpak1
Report 11 years ago
Hey are we all doing the edexcel ones if so which ones i cud post my essays iv dun b4
im doing modern moral philosophy
Personal relationships
Mehotd and moral theory
lilstudent
Hey that is a little more reassuring - i've now been going through and identifying the links. One more question though - we get a paragraph in the exam - do we need to just relate to that paragraph or the essay in which it comes from - i know a bit of an odd question....

YOurs
lil
x
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be honest I dont know the answer to that. As far as I am aware we are assessing the paragraph as it is, what the author is saying etc. Im sure if we talked about the essay as a whole it wouldnt go against us, but the trouble would be that so much is said in those essays that we could easily go off track as to what the paragraph itself is getting at. Therefore I would be tempted to maybe say only a couple of sentences about the aim of the whole essay, but really concentrate only on what the argument in the paragraph is.

But that's just my opinion!!

Starting my revision for this paper right about ... NOW!
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
P.S, im doing the philosophy of religion paper so unfortunately wytpak1's essays wouldnt be of any use to me =[. Which paper are you doing lilstudent?
wytpak1
Report 11 years ago
no my teacher told us completly different u hav to choices either u comment on the paragraph or wots easier is jus lern the overal arguemnt for each essay hence the argument doesnt change within each one.
lilstudent
lol i'd hate to have to be marking this, their going to get aload of differently focused answers.... should be fun. I've started revisinfg them now and i think like you said it will be the argument in general but then linked with the focus of the paragraph, otherwise it's just going to be to wide. For example second paragraph of the language one points to atheism alot so then maybe we should be bringing that into the answer and clarifying the link the paragraph is stating???

yours, lil
Amzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes.

Lil check out these links...we've been chatting about this paper on other threads, you might find it helpful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=604597

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=528877
Sincere Bird
Report 11 years ago
Don't forget, there will only be an extract from oneof the articles.

The question is always the same:

A) Clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage (24 marks)

B) Do you agree with the idea(s) expressed? Justify your point of view and discuss it's implications for understanding religion and human experience.

Don't forget to quote the passage when showing you've understood it, but don't repeat yourself or the passage too often. Don't just link to what you've covered in othe units, you can get more marks (I assume) for using wider knowledge, and as it's askng for you to relate it to human experience and understanding, try to go for real life examples (so, historial or current affairs). If you've learned stuff in Psychology or English or whatever, you can also link to that, if you can use it to make a relevant point.

Mark Scheme:

AO1 (top marks bracket)

Comprehensive understand of the argument/interpretation of the passage, with clear and critical analysis and proficient use of religious language, discussed within a wider context.

AO2 (top marks bracket)

Coherent and comprehensive analysis of a range of implications of the expressive viewpoint and a careful analysis of their relationship to human experience and religion; a sustained and critical line of argument, including a balanced discussion of alternatives; substained conclusions drawn with full justification of viewpoint; expressed accurately, fluently, and using a range of technical terms.
Sarah_x
Report 11 years ago
Just doen this exam...
Wasnt it a perfect Q?
What did everyone else think?
rachel.whitwood
Report 11 years ago
Hi
I'm doing my A2 in Philosophy and Ethics in June and I am so stuck on even the subjects we are supposed to be studying!! I know Religious Language is one... And Meta-Ethics is another... Could anyone tell me what the others are?
x
lydiafuller69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi can anyone help me please im ****ting myself about this exam and have no past answer questions to compare my own work to has anyone got any of their own past essays they could help me by sending me them thanks xxx
ktj1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilstudent)
Hello there.

I'm teaching myself R.S. and i'm really struggling with the Implications paper. I understand the essays but don't understand what the exam board are looking for in our answers. Is their anyone who could pass on some advice from teachers. Any information will be much welcomed.

Lil
I am in the exaxt same position as you! I am having to teach myself the entire course within a matter or weeks and I am seriously struggling for the implications paper! I have no resources and I really need help! if anyone has info they can type or I can give my email and you email me! but please, I need help!
Luna7878
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ktj1234)
I am in the exaxt same position as you! I am having to teach myself the entire course within a matter or weeks and I am seriously struggling for the implications paper! I have no resources and I really need help! if anyone has info they can type or I can give my email and you email me! but please, I need help!
Hiya! I hope this helps
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_e...5KUUZSLVU/edit
http://www.scales.me.uk/2010/04/note...s-of-westphal/
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_e...JkTEQ1YTg/edit - this one helped me so much
I've only been focusing on Westphal, I rlly hope donovan or ayer don't show up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (108)
59.67%
No (38)
20.99%
Not sure (35)
19.34%

Watched Threads