The Student Room Group

Jaw Surgery NHS

Around 2 years ago i went to the orthodontist to see if I could get braces. I have a gap between my 2 front teeth and it makes me so insecure I sometimes avoid going out, cover my face when I laugh/talk and feel like I’ll struggle to make friends when I go to university in September. The orthadonsit told me I had an underbite and I do not qualify for braces unless I was to get jaw surgery. I was referred to the hospital and did a lots of research and decided I didn’t want the surgery as the recovery seems horrendous and the risks make me feel so anxious. 2 years down the line (I am 17, almost 18) and I’m still unsure as to whether I should change my mind and just get it. I am extremely depressed about my teeth and I know that getting braces would make my underbite worse and would mean I’d need to get the surgery, but I don’t find my underbite to be that big of a problem as it is currently. I’m really not sure I can live with my teeth the way they are, but I’m also unsure as to whether I’ll mentally be able to go through with the surgery. I tend to overthink everything so I know the surgery will be extremely hard for me mentally.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone gone through jaw surgery and has any advice?
Hey. I am in a simmilar situation. About 3 years ago my dentists recommended jaw surgery for me. I have an anterior open bite. I know how you fell. Till today i have done nothing about my teeth because i am just not sure in which direction to go to. I am too not eligible for free NHS braces.
Original post by Anonymous
Around 2 years ago i went to the orthodontist to see if I could get braces. I have a gap between my 2 front teeth and it makes me so insecure I sometimes avoid going out, cover my face when I laugh/talk and feel like I’ll struggle to make friends when I go to university in September. The orthadonsit told me I had an underbite and I do not qualify for braces unless I was to get jaw surgery. I was referred to the hospital and did a lots of research and decided I didn’t want the surgery as the recovery seems horrendous and the risks make me feel so anxious. 2 years down the line (I am 17, almost 18) and I’m still unsure as to whether I should change my mind and just get it. I am extremely depressed about my teeth and I know that getting braces would make my underbite worse and would mean I’d need to get the surgery, but I don’t find my underbite to be that big of a problem as it is currently. I’m really not sure I can live with my teeth the way they are, but I’m also unsure as to whether I’ll mentally be able to go through with the surgery. I tend to overthink everything so I know the surgery will be extremely hard for me mentally.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone gone through jaw surgery and has any advice?
Reply 2
do you think it’s likely that you’ll get it done? i have an anterior open bite as well as an under bite but they’re minor and have never really affected me, except i do get headaches often and i wonder if it could be because of my jaw. i really just want straight teeth but i’m considering going through with the operation in case i regret not doing it later in life, and because i doubt the nhs will give me braces unless it’s combined with the jaw surgery.
Original post by Blackstarr
Hey. I am in a simmilar situation. About 3 years ago my dentists recommended jaw surgery for me. I have an anterior open bite. I know how you fell. Till today i have done nothing about my teeth because i am just not sure in which direction to go to. I am too not eligible for free NHS braces.
Reply 3
forgive me if i'm wrong but i thought braces can correct underbites as well?

Quick Reply

Latest