Time frame for break ups Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What is your time frame for getting over an ex? I feel like I've been trying to forget my ex for years now, when it's only going to be a year in a month.
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hopefully a week or two. The best way I can think of forgetting about someone would be to just have no feeling towards them at all. If you still love them then it's hard and you just have to accept that its over. (If you hate them, stop hating them since all it's doing is bad stuff to you, completely ignoring them or removing them from your life is better.)
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
There isn’t really a time but you’ll know when you’re over it. If you’re still thinking about your relationship with this person you’re clearly not over it.

Give yourself time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Man, wish I could have done it in a week or 2. Thanks for the advice, feeling indifferent towards that person would be the best.
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
Hopefully a week or two. The best way I can think of forgetting about someone would be to just have no feeling towards them at all. If you still love them then it's hard and you just have to accept that its over. (If you hate them, stop hating them since all it's doing is bad stuff to you, completely ignoring them or removing them from your life is better.)
Anonymous #1
Thanks, I will.
(Original post by Anonymous)
There isn’t really a time but you’ll know when you’re over it. If you’re still thinking about your relationship with this person you’re clearly not over it.

Give yourself time.
Flippy Boi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dated my first girlfriend for 3+ years. Got me through my Parents divorce and the deaths of my Grandparents. The only person I ever opened myself up to and she cheated on me, twice (yes I'm stupid for giving her the opportunity to do it twice, but I was and still am young and nieve to this day at 21).
It'll be 2 years in a couple of weeks and it still hurts every single day.
The day we broke up, I removed everything I had that reminded me of her (pictures, clothes whatever it may have been; as if she never existed).
Why does it still hurt? Because she's moved on and I haven't. It's only been a few months since I've realized it but I'm fairly sure that's why.

I digress... Everyone's different. If they really meant something to you, it'll be harder to get over them. For me, I'd have to start dating someone else but even to this day, I'm still not 100% sure I'm ready. But I've tried everything else.
Spread your wings my friend. Find that someone else or that activity that takes your mind off it. Life's too short to hold onto the past. The past shows us who we are and pain is a great teacher. Be honest with yourself and your feelings. Before you know it, another year will have gone by and hopefully this won't matter to you much anymore but you'll use it as a lesson nonetheless.
Enjoy life!
Anonymous #1
Thanks for sharing your story, it must of been really difficult, and I must admit this part, "Why does it still hurt? Because she's moved on and I haven't. It's only been a few months since I've realized it but I'm fairly sure that's why." really hit me. Hopefully that pain will go away soon and just leave their memories behind.
(Original post by Flippy Boi)
Dated my first girlfriend for 3+ years. Got me through my Parents divorce and the deaths of my Grandparents. The only person I ever opened myself up to and she cheated on me, twice (yes I'm stupid for giving her the opportunity to do it twice, but I was and still am young and nieve to this day at 21).
It'll be 2 years in a couple of weeks and it still hurts every single day.
The day we broke up, I removed everything I had that reminded me of her (pictures, clothes whatever it may have been; as if she never existed).
Why does it still hurt? Because she's moved on and I haven't. It's only been a few months since I've realized it but I'm fairly sure that's why.

I digress... Everyone's different. If they really meant something to you, it'll be harder to get over them. For me, I'd have to start dating someone else but even to this day, I'm still not 100% sure I'm ready. But I've tried everything else.
Spread your wings my friend. Find that someone else or that activity that takes your mind off it. Life's too short to hold onto the past. The past shows us who we are and pain is a great teacher. Be honest with yourself and your feelings. Before you know it, another year will have gone by and hopefully this won't matter to you much anymore but you'll use it as a lesson nonetheless.
Enjoy life!
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on many factors. Don't focus on a timeframe. Instead, just focus on yourself. Keep occupied with activities you enjoy and surround yourself with people who make you happy. You'll be over it in no time

And I say this, but I know from experience it's not as easy. But it's the best option you have honestly. One day you'll wake up feeling nothing, I guarantee it. It will come eventually
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
London090
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha this really depends.
1. How much you liked/loved the person.
2. How long you two were together.
3. What transpired that caused the breakup.

Honestly the longest I've taken is about a week before it blew over and I realised how stupid I was, I've had another particular circumstance with an ex however I wasn't left missing him or anything just feeling really angry and regretting any time I'd wasted with him.😂
Last edited by London090; 4 weeks ago
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really depends how much you invested in the relationship and how it ended.

For all of my past relationships, I got over the breakup within a week. Yet it took me almost 3 years to get over a friend of mine (ridiculous given that we only went on 2 dates and we were never in a ‘relationship’ 🙄).

Anyways, don’t put a timer on it and create unnecessary internal pressure. Give yourself time plenty of time to heal.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Longest for me was 18 months.
Tootles
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by London090)
Haha this really depends.
1. How much you liked/loved the person.
2. How long you two were together.
3. What transpired that caused the breakup.

Honestly the longest I've taken is about a week before it blew over and I realised how stupid I was, I've had another particular circumstance with an ex however I wasn't left missing him or anything just feeling really angry and regretting any time I'd wasted with him.😂
A week? When my fiancée and I broke up, it took me nearly two years to get over it.
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a difficult one, depends really on you as a person, how emotional you tend to be and I think most importantly how close you were.

The majority of my break ups have taken about an evening to get over - mainly because it was mostly relief I felt from being out of the relationship.
Then there was the one, we were together 4ish years and had been very good friends before that and we broke up because I was joining the Army and she couldn't cope with that. So basically I chose my lifelong dream of the Forces over her... terrible idea.
That was 6 years ago, I still haven't had anything more serious than a hookup since and often think about what if.
batter mix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fortunately, all my relationships ended when the attraction had fizzled out so didn't need any time to get over them but had to wait an appropriate amount of time before jumping in a new one.

It will pass. :goodluck:
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tootles)
A week? When my fiancée and I broke up, it took me nearly two years to get over it.
Well in all fairness I would assume that if she was your fiancee it would definitely take longer to get over her seeing as you guys already got to a stage where in which you've considered spending the rest of your lives together. On the other hand I truly would never picture myself marrying any of the guys I've dated so I think a week was an adequate time to feel better about it I do hate spending time sitting around pondering over what went wrong. Though alike Lady Jamie it did take me a while to get over a friendship which sort of ended, it was a platonic relationship but it hurt badly worse than any breakup I've ever had because I realised I could have been a more understanding friend instead of constantly being selfish. But I've learnt from my mistakes and I'm doing my best to be a better friend on a whole, listening is important when you want to keep relationships
Flippy Boi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My pleasure bud!
That's something you'll never get rid of, the memories. You'll always remember. But that's what makes us, us! Cherish what once was something important and move on, hopefully to bigger and better things.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for sharing your story, it must of been really difficult, and I must admit this part, "Why does it still hurt? Because she's moved on and I haven't. It's only been a few months since I've realized it but I'm fairly sure that's why." really hit me. Hopefully that pain will go away soon and just leave their memories behind.
Anonymous #1
These are great responses! I'm feeling much more positive and looking at this from a different perspective. Thanks to everyone who posted and shared an experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads