Do first year uni grades matter??

Watch
Student_222
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So basically ive done fairly well in my exams last term, got 1A and 3Bs (A=1st class, B=2.1 etc) last term, this term I have gotten mostly As and Bs again in the course work and thought I would do well in my exams, however I broke my arm and collar bone 4 weeks ago and then slip and fell and rebroke my collar bone 2 weeks ago (just my luck!!) which means it has been hard for me to revise due to it being my right arm (which I write and type with), so now im really worried im wont do as well!,
I still think I will pass but maybe with Cs and Ds which I am worried about, I know first year grades dont actually count towards your final degree but someone was saying if youre applying to post grads and jobs they only have 1st and 2nd year results to go by, also im worried if my lecturers will think im not a good student and be more bias to mark me down in my dissertation etc...
I was just wondering how much do first year grades matter?
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Generally they don't, your final degree classification is based on your 2nd and 3rd years. For postgrad degrees again generally your final grade/classification matters the most. Although you would be required to supplement your results transcript, if your overall results for 2nd and 3rd years are good some bad grades during the 1st year, shouldn't matter that much. For jobs the same story goes, unless you're told or willing to include your grades in your CV, it's unlikely you would be asked to show your results transcript. Basically don't believe everything others says.

No one is going to mark you down because of your grades in the 1st year Trust me, I'm marking courseworks quite often, we don't have access to students' grades.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by agrew; 2 years ago
OddOnes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Nah not at all. I got a 2.2 in first year then did well in second and third. It didn't negatively affect any of my applications.
Dusky Mauve
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Also you should submit an extenuating circumstances form about your injury
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.84%
Okay (106)
28.96%
A bit lacking (135)
36.89%
Not good at all (89)
24.32%

Watched Threads