The Student Room Group

How common is one night stand during freshers?

I want to prepare myself and wondering how common it is and how I'd go about the process of it. Most ive done is kissed a girl so it will be a big upgrade XD
As common as alcohol, clubbing and being hungover at 9am.
It's not difficult for a guy to find a ons so long as he has a friendly demeanor, a reasonably normal reputation, goes clubbing 3+ x a week and get into the habit of regularly buying drinks rounds for groups of people partying (girls and guys).

It's similar for girls too- I used frequent the nightlife scene and pay for drink rounds, got offers from plenty of guys looking for ons or fwb.
Only real difference is the guys have to give the impression that they are friendly and trustworthy for girls who don't know them too well to consider ons.
There are so many violent creeps around that many girls and guys have arrangements to babysit their impulsive female friends for safety's sake, blocking all attempts by male strangers to exit the club alone with their friend at night/early morning- until they are sure she will be safe.
There is also the overly keen who do well in such situations. :lol: (Not that, that's always a good thing, if ever.)
(edited 4 years ago)
ONS do happen, but they're possibly not as common as you think. More casual FWB situations are possibly more common, as a lot of girls want to know and trust a guy at least a bit before having casual sex with him.

If you've not had sex before, be open and honest with the girl- that way if she's more experienced, she can take the lead and hopefully make sure you both have a good time.

But try to let things happen naturally- if you go out looking for a ONS, you may come across as creepy and this may make people start to avoid you on your course/in social situations. Don't fixate on sex, just put yourself out there and be fun and friendly and see what happens.
To add to SarcAndSpark be honest with the girl in case you get nerves. I'm willing to admit the first time I had sex I was nervous and a few of other friends have been the same. :biggrin:
Reply 5
If you couldn't pull a rope or catch a cold before you went to uni, there's no magic wand that's going to suddenly make you irresistible to women.

Do they happen? Certainly.
Does that mean it'll certainly happen to you? No.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to prepare myself and wondering how common it is and how I'd go about the process of it. Most ive done is kissed a girl so it will be a big upgrade XD
Reply 6
Such pessimism..
Original post by Drewski
If you couldn't pull a rope or catch a cold before you went to uni, there's no magic wand that's going to suddenly make you irresistible to women.

Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Such pessimism..

Simple realism.

No point second guessing yourself. Sure, have a 'plan' of sorts, but I can categorically guarantee you that that plan will go out the window when you're a- drunk, and b- nervous.

You can't legislate for what people are going to think of you, do don't try. And if you try to force a one night stand type of occasion there's even more reason to suggest it won't happen.
Original post by Drewski

I think the rope becomes somewhat looser at uni, if you catch my drift. A lot of sheltered people from both sides suddenly let loose and ready to let many a-man lie atop of them.
Reply 9
Original post by Notoriety
I think the rope becomes somewhat looser at uni, if you catch my drift. A lot of sheltered people from both sides suddenly let loose and ready to let many a-man lie atop of them.

True, but there's still a line. It's not just going to pull itself, is my point, it's not automatic.

I knew plenty who didn't, of all stripes.

Quick Reply

Latest