I’ve got bad attendance but I feel ill what should I do? Watch

Sophie_is_grumpy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In my school in the UK any attendance under 98% is horrific but I’ve been in and out of hospital causing my illnesses and absences but I can’t really stop myself from being ill and idk what to do because my school is threatening my parents with a fine or even taking them to court. I think I’ve got a flu or a fever(something like that) as I’ve been up all night crying and it’s currently 03:02 AM, I don’t know what to do because my school has lowered my attendance to 84% (I’m only in year 7)and I don’t want to cause stress to my parents...
Should I stay at home or go to school?
Any advice?
Last edited by Sophie_is_grumpy; 4 weeks ago
Corps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you’ve been in and out of hospital surely your school must know about your circumstances, do they? At the rand of the day it’s year 7. When I was in year 7 I had a lot of health complaints and my school fully understood, I couldn’t have had better than 70% attendance, however, I always just pushed through everything that wasn’t related to my ongoing health condition partly because I was missing a lot of school anyway and because my condition was worry enough for my family without me thinking I had the flu. I think you should try going to school, you can always go to the nurse if it’s that bad or see how you feel when you wake up. Hope I could help and that you feel better soon.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are in and out of hospital/having time off for a related illness (as in it’s the same thing) then your school should be understanding as it works in much the same way as it would if you were employed.

You need to ask your dr to write a formal note to the school stating that you are ill (you do not have to disclose to the school the reason you are ill when it is something less than short term) - it would be reasonable to tell your school/employer if you was taking a day off sick due to say a stomach bug.

Next the reason the school may be being heavy handed is of if they are being required to improve their overall pupil attendance by local government or ofstead they will need to be shown to treat you (at first) the same as anyone else who is off ill. Until you have had your doctor written to the school you must call/get a parent or guardian to call the school everyday to tell them you will not be coming in.

Also the school will be eager to make sure that you are not falling behind with your school work in a crucial transitioning year (going from yr6 (primary) to yr7 (secondary)). They may want to put into play some home study work which should be light in nature but explain to you what you are missing with some elements to show you understand. Your parents/guardians MUST keep in contact with the school throughout any prolonged time off as it is illegal for a child not to go to a school or be receiving home education - which is probably where the court element has come in.

Finally l, and the school will also be worrying about this, how have you found the change from going from a small school to a large school - it may be that you are suffering from anxiety - and if that is he case you, your parents, school and dr should all be working together to achieve the best possible outcome.

I hope that helps in a way

N.B. I am not a teacher or an expert on procedures but o believe the advice I have given is sound and is how I would tackle this difficult situation.

Meltz
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Sophie,

Your parents need to be constantly in touch with the school so home study plans be put in place.

If connected illnesses then you can ask your dr to write to the school - it’s your choice if he tells them what the medical condition is.

I am concerned that you are awake at such a late hour - and if you are struggling to sleep/ have phones and electronics then I am afraid you are going to need to tackle this too by not using them so late (FYI I’m off to work).

It could be anxiety from the transition from a small school to a bigger school. I had similar episodes.

Know one will get in trouble if you are genuinely ill, have had your dr confirm this and wrote to the school and your parents are in contact with your school to ensure that you do not fall behind on your studies.

I can tell you know that you can be he illest person on the planet but you will still have to do school work.

Hope this helps
Meltz1989
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sophie,

Your parents need to be constantly in touch with the school so home study plans be put in place.

If connected illnesses then you can ask your dr to write to the school - it’s your choice if he tells them what the medical condition is.

I am concerned that you are awake at such a late hour - and if you are struggling to sleep/ have phones and electronics then I am afraid you are going to need to tackle this too by not using them so late (FYI I’m off to work).

It could be anxiety from the transition from a small school to a bigger school. I had similar episodes.

Know one will get in trouble if you are genuinely ill, have had your dr confirm this and wrote to the school and your parents are in contact with your school to ensure that you do not fall behind on your studies.

I can tell you know that you can be he illest person on the planet but you will still have to do school work.

Hope this helps
Sophie_is_grumpy
Rep:
?
We have been giving doctors appointments and everything but they r still putting it down on my attendance and the med room in my skl is horrible u get locked in there with other ppl throwing up and everything and Im actually scared of being ill so yeh it doesn’t rlly help either
(Original post by Corps)
If you’ve been in and out of hospital surely your school must know about your circumstances, do they? At the rand of the day it’s year 7. When I was in year 7 I had a lot of health complaints and my school fully understood, I couldn’t have had better than 70% attendance, however, I always just pushed through everything that wasn’t related to my ongoing health condition partly because I was missing a lot of school anyway and because my condition was worry enough for my family without me thinking I had the flu. I think you should try going to school, you can always go to the nurse if it’s that bad or see how you feel when you wake up. Hope I could help and that you feel better soon.
Sophie_is_grumpy
Rep:
?
I completely get what ur saying but my parents send in dr appointments and everything like that and the thing is none of the doctors actually know what’s wrong with me but I’ve had blood tests done and there are quite a couple things wrong with the blood tests but I still need to get a lot more scans done and things like that, so idk if that’s why they r marking me down as not actually ill
And I’m on my phone at the moment because I get stressed very easily and it calms me down if I watch videos and look at pictures of my older brother who passed away a couple of years ago.

Do u think I could ask my school to send me the work by email so I can still do it on the days I’m not here?

(Original post by Meltz1989)
Sophie,

Hope this helps
AstronomyAustin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used to have this problem with my school and they kept threatening action even with doctor's notes and stuff. I hope you'll be okay and good luck with getting it sorted
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
If you’re ill you need to get you and your teacher and your parents in a room together to deal with it - it sounds like you might have anxiety and not a specific Illness - yiurs drs will be able to diagnose that but you need to open and honest with them
Sophie_is_grumpy
Rep:
?
Thank u it means so much x
(Original post by AstronomyAustin)
I used to have this problem with my school and they kept threatening action even with doctor's notes and stuff. I hope you'll be okay and good luck with getting it sorted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads