The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Leeds vs Southampton

I'm an international student from Taiwan. Recently I got three offers from UK universities :
Lancaster : MSc Data Science(School of Computing and Communications )
Leeds : MSc Data Science and Analytics(School of Mathematics)
Southampton : MSc Data Decision and Analytics(School of Mathematical Science)

In long term, I would like to work as an data analyst or data scientist in the UK or Europe. I'm wondering which one has higher reputation in terms of research and teaching quality in computing & mathematics?

Regarding the courses, I like the modules that Lancaster designed. It contained both statistics theories and applied data mining, also programming and distributed system. Most importantly, it offers placements for student to deal with real-world data at term 3. In Leeds, most of the courses are optional modules, and you can choose two courses each from computing and math. I found that there are more choices and the course are more applied(I can be wrong with this). Also it locates in a city, maybe there will be more working opportunities after graduating. For Southampton, the subject focus more on operational research and statistics, there are less content about programming and computing systems, so this is my concern for this subject.

Overall, my goal is to find a job in Europe, so I would like to know which choice will benefit me more to reach the goal after I graduate. I will be appreciate for any opinion, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending