Access to Medicine Course 2019/2020 Watch

LukeDcaccia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there,
I have just applied for the access to medicine course at Stafford college, commencing in September (awaiting an interview offer). I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience of completing this course and going on to medical school? I've been out of scientific/mathmatic education since my 2012 GCSE's. I did really well and I believe in my determination and academic ability. However, I'm just concerned about how hard the course is going to be. Can you learn as you go on the course or do you need to refresh your knowledge prior to starting the course? There is hardly room for error if you want to go to medical school. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LukeDcaccia)
Hi there,
I have just applied for the access to medicine course at Stafford college, commencing in September (awaiting an interview offer). I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience of completing this course and going on to medical school? I've been out of scientific/mathmatic education since my 2012 GCSE's. I did really well and I believe in my determination and academic ability. However, I'm just concerned about how hard the course is going to be. Can you learn as you go on the course or do you need to refresh your knowledge prior to starting the course? There is hardly room for error if you want to go to medical school. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke
I would ask the college what % of students go on to gain a place at medical school. Sometimes they have a good relationship with the local uni, but beyond that Access courses are not widely accpeted by medical school or it may be only to gain access to foundation year. Imo I would do A levels including Bio and Chem, plus make sure id done enough private prep before starting them properly. A levels you need AAA within 2 years of the official start.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

The downside of A levels is its unlikely you can find a college to do them at and so will have to self finance.

Even with access, there is very little room for getting things wrong , so you need distinctions from the start.
LukeDcaccia
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply! I've had an extensive look on all of the medical school websites and there are quite a few that accept the access course. I admit, I'm quite dubious about the pressure of achieving mostly distinctions.
After speaking to Stafford college today, the administrator did say a lot of students were successful with some going on to study to become a doctor, dentist, etc. I just feel A levels would be the longer, harder way of doing things. It seems easier to get accepted on to access to medicine courses as a mature student.
(Original post by 999tigger)
I would ask the college what % of students go on to gain a place at medical school. Sometimes they have a good relationship with the local uni, but beyond that Access courses are not widely accpeted by medical school or it may be only to gain access to foundation year. Imo I would do A levels including Bio and Chem, plus make sure id done enough private prep before starting them properly. A levels you need AAA within 2 years of the official start.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

The downside of A levels is its unlikely you can find a college to do them at and so will have to self finance.

Even with access, there is very little room for getting things wrong , so you need distinctions from the start.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LukeDcaccia)
Thanks for the reply! I've had an extensive look on all of the medical school websites and there are quite a few that accept the access course. I admit, I'm quite dubious about the pressure of achieving mostly distinctions.
After speaking to Stafford college today, the administrator did say a lot of students were successful with some going on to study to become a doctor, dentist, etc. I just feel A levels would be the longer, harder way of doing things. It seems easier to get accepted on to access to medicine courses as a mature student.
If you are happy with your choice, then go for it. Personally I would rather have A levels. As a mature student you probably know which schools you are interested in. so just check its accepted. There isnt much room for error.
stuntmanhy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm gonna be starting the access course at City and Islington this September so I'm in the same boat. I've heard the same thing regarding A-Levels, it is expensive and also quite difficult to take science levels as a mature candidate. Not to mention it could take an extra year as well. The access course does limit your choices for sure but there are plenty that accept it, it's worth emailing them about your specific course.

Southampton, St. Georges, Leicester, Brighton/Sussex and Bristol all said they would accept the course when I emailed them. I was at the Anglia Ruskin open day last weekend and was able to speak to the admissions team there and they also said they would accept it for sure.

Getting straight distinctions does sound quite daunting but I also think it's very doable having spoken to many people are have done it. I met a guy a few weeks ago who is currently doing the course at another college and he said it's hard work but far from impossible if you put in the time and be sure not to miss any college days.
LukeDcaccia
Rep:
?
That's reassuring to hear someone in the same situation. Yes, I'm aiming for Bristol, Ruskin, Leicester and Brighton. Bristol and Ruskin are a little more lenient with the credits (30 distinction 15 merits). It's just a lot to cram into a short space of time - UCAS application by 15th Oct, Ukcat/Bmat exams, Distinctions in the access and work experience. But if others have succeeded I'm sure we can try our level best. Good luck with it all!
(Original post by stuntmanhy)
I'm gonna be starting the access course at City and Islington this September so I'm in the same boat. I've heard the same thing regarding A-Levels, it is expensive and also quite difficult to take science levels as a mature candidate. Not to mention it could take an extra year as well. The access course does limit your choices for sure but there are plenty that accept it, it's worth emailing them about your specific course.

Southampton, St. Georges, Leicester, Brighton/Sussex and Bristol all said they would accept the course when I emailed them. I was at the Anglia Ruskin open day last weekend and was able to speak to the admissions team there and they also said they would accept it for sure.

Getting straight distinctions does sound quite daunting but I also think it's very doable having spoken to many people are have done it. I met a guy a few weeks ago who is currently doing the course at another college and he said it's hard work but far from impossible if you put in the time and be sure not to miss any college days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%