izzycandy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I need revision tips as i'm about to start a french gcse exam , any tips for revision on speaking, listening , reading and writing?
a-rose02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Listening: try and do “speak screen” (on iPhone only though) for French news articles, listen to podcasts, if you have access use CGP as well- that helped me a lot and the school had access to archives. I believe your exam board should have some past papers and listening files to help.

Speaking and writing: For both, I tended to write example paragraphs for each topic. In speaking, I’d make sure to add in responding questions, questions I might be asked etc. And practiced from there. Try and see if you can find a friend/ classmate to help- you can take it in turns asking each other questions and listening to each other’s responses and can give each other pointers along the way. For writing as well, revise common verbs, sentence starters, connectives, the tenses etc. to boost your marks further; I made “cheat sheets” in a way with all the connectives, verbs, participles on one A4 sheet to help me with this.

Reading: We had access to textbooks and booklets which helped me a lot last year with reading. If you didn’t, that’s fine, there’s plenty of revision guides online like BBC bitesize or Gojimo which can give you practice questions. Definitely use past papers for this as they can help you tonnes, and mark schemes can help train you to understand what the examiner is looking for.

All I can say is practice makes perfect, it’s all about practicing the skills, going over key words and understanding how to use them when communicating. But don’t panic, you don’t need to be fluent or know every single bit of vocabulary in French. Just know how to use a good amount confidently, understand how to vary your sentences and have a good understanding of the language and you’ll be set. (Your exam board should have a list of vocabulary you’re expected to know/are used in papers- this was definitely the case for WJEC an helped me a lot when making notes and ‘perfect paragraphs’) Hope this helps!
Last edited by a-rose02; 11 months ago
izzycandy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads