Unsure what Uni to firm for Law Watch

Sockxe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So ive received offers from all 5 Universities that i applied to (Lancaster AAB, Exeter AAB, Reading AAB, Liverpool ABB and Surrey BBB). I've been to open days for all and Reading and Liverpool are my favourites. However i unsure wether ill be able to get the AAB grade so therefore was thinking of doing Liverpool and Surrey. However i really did not like Surrey and wouldnt like to go there. As a result I am unsure what to do?
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sockxe)
So ive received offers from all 5 Universities that i applied to (Lancaster AAB, Exeter AAB, Reading AAB, Liverpool ABB and Surrey BBB). I've been to open days for all and Reading and Liverpool are my favourites. However i unsure wether ill be able to get the AAB grade so therefore was thinking of doing Liverpool and Surrey. However i really did not like Surrey and wouldnt like to go there. As a result I am unsure what to do?
Don't insure a uni you wouldn't want to go to- you'll probably end up wanting to be released on results day and going through clearing anyway.

The obvious choice is to firm Reading and insure Liverpool- if you don't get AAB, it's possible Reading may let you in if you miss your offer and if not, you have Liverpool as a back up, where you'd still like to go. If you don't make either offer, you'll be in clearing, without the added faff of having to get out of an offer you don't want.

What do you think the downsides of Reading as your firm, Liverpool as your insurance are?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Reading and Liverpool both take in far less than their stated entry requirements on results day. Reading especially and it's a joke they pretend they actually require AAB -- many tiers below the likes of Exeter academically.
Sockxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Don't insure a uni you wouldn't want to go to- you'll probably end up wanting to be released on results day and going through clearing anyway.

The obvious choice is to firm Reading and insure Liverpool- if you don't get AAB, it's possible Reading may let you in if you miss your offer and if not, you have Liverpool as a back up, where you'd still like to go. If you don't make either offer, you'll be in clearing, without the added faff of having to get out of an offer you don't want.

What do you think the downsides of Reading as your firm, Liverpool as your insurance are?
The pros of Reading are that its only about 2 hours away from home whereas Liverpool is close to 4. The course for both look good but I've read Reading has better connections to London firms. On the other hand i really liked Liverpool as a city and the fact it has lower entry requirements.
Sockxe
Rep:
?
In addition if i don't get the grades for Reading accommodation could be a problem.

SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The pros of Reading are that its only about 2 hours away from home whereas Liverpool is close to 4. The course for both look good but I've read Reading has better connections to London firms. On the other hand i really liked Liverpool as a city and the fact it has lower entry requirements.
In addition if i don't get the grades for Reading accommodation could be a problem.
Unis try to put the hard sell on in terms of accommodation- but you will find somewhere to live, even if it's private halls or a private rental rather than uni halls, and you'll still have a great time, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you prefer Liverpool, there's no rule that says you have to put a uni with lower grades as your insurance. If you insure Reading (or another uni, not Surrey), you're still giving yourself two chances on results day and as Notoriety said, unis do let people in who've dropped grades on results day.
Sockxe
Rep:
?
Thank you
Unis try to put the hard sell on in terms of accommodation- but you will find somewhere to live, even if it's private halls or a private rental rather than uni halls, and you'll still have a great time, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you prefer Liverpool, there's no rule that says you have to put a uni with lower grades as your insurance. If you insure Reading (or another uni, not Surrey), you're still giving yourself two chances on results day and as Notoriety said, unis do let people in who've dropped grades on results day.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you
I will just thank meself.
JayJ2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
HEAD TO LANCASTER!!!!! I'm going to lancaster in the fall. We may see each other and become friends! We both got into the Law program in Lancaster! That is so cool! Unbiased opinion: Head to Lancaster, it's in the top 8 universities of the UK overall and top 20 for the law program. It's clearly the best university you applied to.
Last edited by JayJ2001; 4 weeks ago
JIMBO789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would go with Exeter then Surrey or Reading
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JayJ2001)
HEAD TO LANCASTER!!!!! I'm going to lancaster in the fall. We may see each other and become friends! We both got into the Law program in Lancaster! That is so cool! Unbiased opinion: Head to Lancaster, it's in the top 8 universities of the UK overall and top 20 for the law program. It's clearly the best university you applied to.
Calm down.

And I don't think OP would be so foolish as to base their decision on rankings.
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Think Reading was in clearing last year, if you got BBB I’d imagine they’d still take you.

If Reading is your favourite, firm it and have Liverpool as your insurance.

Exeter is the most reputable of the ones you’ve received offers from but if you prefer Reading go for it.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JayJ2001)
That was pretty creepy.

And if we’re going off rankings, how can Lancaster “clearly” be the best when Exeter ranks higher for law? I’m intrigued.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
Think Reading was in clearing last year, if you got BBB I’d imagine they’d still take you.

If Reading is your favourite, firm it and have Liverpool as your insurance.

Exeter is the most reputable of the ones you’ve received offers from but if you prefer Reading go for it.
According to Which Uni, commonest grades at Reading for law are BBB. Yet they're advertising AAB and OP has fallen for it, lol.

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-523d50111a68
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
According to Which Uni, commonest grades at Reading for law are BBB. Yet they're advertising AAB and OP has fallen for it, lol.

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-523d50111a68
Surely people have now realised that unis have their entry requirements higher to look more prestigious.

My Exeter offer is AAB say and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re are people on the course with BBB.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surely people have now realised that unis have their entry requirements higher to look more prestigious.

My Exeter offer is AAB say and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re are people on the course with BBB.
It is not that they let people in who miss; it is that Reading comprises students who missed. I.e. the stated entry really does not reflect at all the actual entry standards. Exeter's commonest grades are AAA.
Sockxe
Rep:
?
Calm down.

And I don't think OP would be so foolish as to base their decision on rankings.
I'm not really too fussed with rankings. Reading and Liverpool are both good Unis and I prefered them to the others.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is not that they let people in who miss; it is that Reading comprises students who missed. I.e. the stated entry really does not reflect at all the actual entry standards. Exeter's commonest grades are AAA.
Suppose they advertise their grades as AAB to make them seem more prestigious.

It’s a bit misleading though as students who are around BBB may be deterred from going when they’re capable.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Suppose they advertise their grades as AAB to make them seem more prestigious.

It’s a bit misleading though as students who are around BBB may be deterred from going when they’re capable.
I thought it would be known that Reading is a little below average, but then again I was an applicant many moons ago.
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.62%
The paper was reasonable (395)
45.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.33%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed