Is 20 days enough for doing past papers for Economics? Watch

euphoricat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I still haven't covered all of the content yet but am planning to finish learning it in a week by watching tutor2u and econplusdal videos. My first econ exam is on the 20th. Is 20 days enough time to build exam technique and be prepared for the exam?
Cheesybread
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes as long as you start soon and do many and different past papers. Don't be afraid to use papers from old specimens, as they may repeat questions from old paper. For myself i did papers from 2002 onward. My exam was in 2016
euphoricat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesybread)
Yes as long as you start soon and do many and different past papers. Don't be afraid to use papers from old specimens, as they may repeat questions from old paper. For myself i did papers from 2002 onward. My exam was in 2016
So would you recommend revising content or just straight up do past papers from today? I'm pretty confident with Year 1 knowledge but need a bit more push on Year 2. Also, do I need real-world knowledge for application or is it better to focus on really strong evaluation with just concepts/theories? My exam board is AQA by the way and I'm predicted an A* (which at the moment seems unachievable).
euphoricat
Rep:
?
Also, did you write out the entire essay or just essay plans? Did you do every single question on each past paper or just choose one from each section as you would in the exam? I can do 2 sets of past papers each day, so 20 days means 40 for each micro and macro...
Last edited by euphoricat; 4 weeks ago
Cheesybread
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by euphoricat)
So would you recommend revising content or just straight up do past papers from today? I'm pretty confident with Year 1 knowledge but need a bit more push on Year 2. Also, do I need real-world knowledge for application or is it better to focus on really strong evaluation with just concepts/theories? My exam board is AQA by the way and I'm predicted an A* (which at the moment seems unachievable).
I had AQA. With MCQs right? I got an A, it is achievable. With first year focus on the technique and past papers. They are the best and easiest way to get a A. With the 2nd year also you need to practice, but the technique is very similar i found. You need some basic real world knowledge but not much more than stuff on BBC news. So basic stuff. A strong evaluation and theories are key, but with more exam practice, you will get better at them, because you need to know how to answer a question well, before you know it, as even with great knowledge you can't get more than 60%
euphoricat
Rep:
?
I had AQA. With MCQs right? I got an A, it is achievable. With first year focus on the technique and past papers. They are the best and easiest way to get a A. With the 2nd year also you need to practice, but the technique is very similar i found. You need some basic real world knowledge but not much more than stuff on BBC news. So basic stuff. A strong evaluation and theories are key, but with more exam practice, you will get better at them, because you need to know how to answer a question well, before you know it, as even with great knowledge you can't get more than 60%
Did you have to remember key stats for every aspect of the UK economy, or just the general trend? So doing lots of past papers and practice questions and finding application along the way, then learning all the essays/essay plans a couple of days before the exam will be a good idea?

It's just the application bit I'm worried about. It's impossible to read all the news now.
Last edited by euphoricat; 4 weeks ago
Cheesybread
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some key stats, but basic ones, like current UK inflation rate, interest rate, approx unemployment %. You can just write these on your hands. Trend isn't needed, but useful to know interest rate trend to talk about monetary policy in debt. Yes then learn essay plans, and make sure you have enough good examples at an A* level to get a A, and understand what is needed to get one. You don't need to know all of the news just basic stats, any economists should know
Did you have to remember key stats for every aspect of the UK economy, or just the general trend? So doing lots of past papers and practice questions and finding application along the way, then learning all the essays/essay plans a couple of days before the exam will be a good idea?

It's just the application bit I'm worried about. It's impossible to read all the news now.
euphoricat
Rep:
?
Some key stats, but basic ones, like current UK inflation rate, interest rate, approx unemployment %. You can just write these on your hands. Trend isn't needed, but useful to know interest rate trend to talk about monetary policy in debt. Yes then learn essay plans, and make sure you have enough good examples at an A* level to get a A, and understand what is needed to get one. You don't need to know all of the news just basic stats, any economists should know
Thank you
lostplot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
aaaah same super scared for Economics... I know the content but i need to go over it again and THERES SO MUCH. I dont know if i should just purely do past papers
Thank you
euphoricat
Rep:
?
(Original post by lostplot)
aaaah same super scared for Economics... I know the content but i need to go over it again and THERES SO MUCH. I dont know if i should just purely do past papers
IKR! My strategy is to priorities the spec, then pick past 25 mark questions for each topic, not doing the similar ones twice. I don't know how it'll work out though arghhh
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I still haven't covered all of the content yet but am planning to finish learning it in a week by watching tutor2u and econplusdal videos. My first econ exam is on the 20th. Is 20 days enough time to build exam technique and be prepared for the exam?
Yeah start ASAP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads