Unsure which uni Watch

Hollyhillsxoxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I applied to do Chemical Engineering but unsure of which university to choose.
Surrey, QM, Aston, Greenwich
I visited all and liked them, but I really don’t know
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hollyhillsxoxo)
I'd say Surrey has the best reputation out of these Uni's
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What did you like about each uni? Could you make a pros and cons list for each one?

Choosing where to go to uni is a really personal choice and it's important to think about what's important to you when choosing.

Maybe check out our sub-forums for each uni to ask current students for their experiences?
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
What did you like about each uni? Could you make a pros and cons list for each one?

Choosing where to go to uni is a really personal choice and it's important to think about what's important to you when choosing.

Maybe check out our sub-forums for each uni to ask current students for their experiences?
Surrey
Pros ;
- Amazing student satisfaction
- Good nightlife
- Labs + Teaching are good too
Cons;
- Too far from home

QM;
Pros;
-Multi-culture
-In London
-Teachers seem to care about students
Cons;
-Not accredited

Aston;
Pros;
- Nice uni atmosphere
- Teaching is good
Cons;
Too far from home

Greenwich;
Pros ;
- in London
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surrey
Pros ;
- Good nightlife
Cons;
- Too far from home

QM;
Pros;
-Multi-culture
-In London
Cons;
-Not accredited

Aston;
Pros;
- Nice uni atmosphere
- Teaching is good
Cons;
Too far from home

Greenwich;
Pros ;
- in London
From that it sounds like QM and Surrey are your favourites- so maybe they should be your firm and insurance? Surrey isn't that far from London, so I'm sure you could get home easily?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surrey
Pros ;
- Good nightlife
Cons;
- Too far from home

QM;
Pros;
-Multi-culture
-In London
Cons;
-Not accredited

Aston;
Pros;
- Nice uni atmosphere
- Teaching is good
Cons;
Too far from home

Greenwich;
Pros ;
- in London
Don't go QM, if you want/are considering becoming a chartered engineer after Uni, tbh being unaccredited in 2019 is ridiculous in a STEM subject.

Also you'll have better opportunities/prospects at Surrey i think, Aston & Greenwich aren't in the same league academically...
EanzRome
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
qm
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Yeah that’s true , but the fact that QM isn’t accredited wouldn’t that be a disadvantage?
From that it sounds like QM and Surrey are your favourites- so maybe they should be your firm and insurance? Surrey isn't that far from London, so I'm sure you could get home easily?
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Would it not become accredited over time though?
(Original post by mnot)
Don't go QM, if you want/are considering becoming a chartered engineer after Uni, tbh being unaccredited in 2019 is ridiculous in a STEM subject.

Also you'll have better opportunities/prospects at Surrey i think, Aston & Greenwich aren't in the same league academically...
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Why do you say that?
(Original post by EanzRome)
qm
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah that’s true , but the fact that QM isn’t accredited wouldn’t that be a disadvantage?
I don't know enough about accreditation to know whether that would be a huge problem or not. It might disadvantage you somewhat after uni and rule out some employers, but if it completely stopped their students from having good careers, then the uni would have accredited their degrees by now.

AFIAK, it's still possible to apply to become a chartered engineer without accreditation.

However, if accreditation is important to you as a mark of quality in the degree or because you think it will improve your employment prospects, then you should obviously choose a different uni.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Would it not become accredited over time though?
QM may seek to accredit the course, but if it's not accredited by the time you start in September then it is unlikely you will get an accredited degree.

Normally what happens is an engineering institution such as IchemE will go to the Uni a year before so for Sept 2020 entry they'll go in around now and provide a series of learning outcomes, practical skills & key knowledge Institutions must include in the degree to become accredited.
They'll agree on modules, exam topics etc.
Then they will say students entering the Uni in 2020 to 2023 are accredited, then in 3 years come back and update the accreditation.

If QM dont have it already then its highly unlikely they'll get it before you start: if you email them, they should be able to explicitly confirm if they will have it or not (message the course director).

To become a chartered engineer u either need an accredited MEng or accredited BEng+ accredited MSc, it is much harder to complete the academic prerequisites for chartership without these qualifications (but not impossible, you need to go to engineering council as a 1 off case, and do some additional qualifications and stuff).
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
So what if I have an accredited MEng and an unaccredited BEng, say from different unis?
(Original post by mnot)
QM may seek to accredit the course, but if it's not accredited by the time you start in September then it is unlikely you will get an accredited degree.

Normally what happens is an engineering institution such as IchemE will go to the Uni a year before so for Sept 2020 entry they'll go in around now and provide a series of learning outcomes, practical skills & key knowledge Institutions must include in the degree to become accredited.
They'll agree on modules, exam topics etc.
Then they will say students entering the Uni in 2020 to 2023 are accredited, then in 3 years come back and update the accreditation.

If QM dont have it already then its highly unlikely they'll get it before you start: if you email them, they should be able to explicitly confirm if they will have it or not (message the course director).

To become a chartered engineer u either need an accredited MEng or accredited BEng+ accredited MSc, it is much harder to complete the academic prerequisites for chartership without these qualifications (but not impossible, you need to go to engineering council as a 1 off case, and do some additional qualifications and stuff).
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Thank you!
I don't know enough about accreditation to know whether that would be a huge problem or not. It might disadvantage you somewhat after uni and rule out some employers, but if it completely stopped their students from having good careers, then the uni would have accredited their degrees by now.

AFIAK, it's still possible to apply to become a chartered engineer without accreditation.

However, if accreditation is important to you as a mark of quality in the degree or because you think it will improve your employment prospects, then you should obviously choose a different uni.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So what if I have an accredited MEng and an unaccredited BEng, say from different unis?
This isn't possible (MEng is undergrad) i think what you mean is: Unaccredited BEng + Accredited MSc from a different Uni.

Then you would meet part of the prerequisites but not all, you would need to go the IchemE as a special one off case and ask for accreditation, this is possible but is done on a case by case basis with no guarantees.

EDIT: that being said i know someone with a Physics BSc then did a Mechanical Engineering MSc and got IMeche (institute for Mechanical engineers) accreditation for Chartership
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Oh ok that makes sense, I think I have made my decision then for Surrey. Thank you so much
(Original post by mnot)
This isn't possible (MEng is undergrad) i think what you mean is: Unaccredited BEng + Accredited MSc from a different Uni.

Then you would meet part of the prerequisites but not all, you would need to go the IchemE as a special one off case and ask for accreditation, this is possible but is done on a case by case basis with no guarantees.

EDIT: that being said i know someone with a Physics BSc then did a Mechanical Engineering MSc and got IMeche (institute for Mechanical engineers) accreditation for Chartership
EanzRome
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Queen Mary University Hollyhillsxoxo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Hollyhillsxoxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
*why do you say that?
(Original post by EanzRome)
Queen Mary University Hollyhillsxoxo
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Surrey is ranked the highest out of the 4 in chemical engineering with a rank of 251st in the world. But in the end it is up to your convenience such as which would would cost less for you to go to. So good luck :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
16.13%
The paper was reasonable (191)
51.34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.51%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads