The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

How hard is it to get into SOAS?

I am interested in the double major course of Japanese and Economics. On the website the requirement for this course is AAB/ABB which I am fairly certain I can achieve. However, it also recommends having taken a language at A Level which I am not, and it is also stated on a separate website that you are expected to have done A Level Mathematics and if you hadn't at least a B/6 in GCSE Maths (I got a 6). Will it come down to my personal statement, and if I am barely unable to achieve the grades necessary (BBB) will they be lenient? Also does anyone recommend any other courses?
Original post by anton_ellis
I am interested in the double major course of Japanese and Economics. On the website the requirement for this course is AAB/ABB which I am fairly certain I can achieve. However, it also recommends having taken a language at A Level which I am not, and it is also stated on a separate website that you are expected to have done A Level Mathematics and if you hadn't at least a B/6 in GCSE Maths (I got a 6). Will it come down to my personal statement, and if I am barely unable to achieve the grades necessary (BBB) will they be lenient? Also does anyone recommend any other courses?

As for Japanese, you don't need an A-Level language for the vast majority of (if not all) languages at SOAS. I'm doing Korean and although they also recommended an A-Level, I didn't have one and many of the people on my course didn't, some didn't even do a GCSE. If you got a 6 in maths then I don't see there being a problem since that's what they've asked for. At the end of the day, how lenient they will be depends on how competitive the course is. I can't comment on Japanese or Economics but for my course (which is as competitive or maybe slightly more than Japanese) I knew quite a few people who were rejected because they didn't get the grades. As for me, I was offered ABB + B in EPQ but got ABC + A in EPQ which honestly I don't think balances out so they might have been a bit lenient with me. Still, if you have an offer then they were obviously impressed by your personal statement. I would say that SOAS puts a lot of importance in your personal statement, especially for languages, but of course still aim for your offer grades.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending