The Student Room Group

University - close or far from home?

A lot of my friends are moving further away for uni, but the uni with the best course for me is only 40 mins away...

I feel like I'd be missing out on being more independent if I stay closer, although I'd be moving out anyway, but I don't think I'd be happy going anywhere else. Any advice?

I wish I could explore a new city and meet new people, staying so close means i already know the city and it doesn't feel as exciting! I had a 'this is it' moment at a different university, but the applicant day was awful. I prefer the course closer to home.

Thoughts?
Original post by P127
A lot of my friends are moving further away for uni, but the uni with the best course for me is only 40 mins away...

I feel like I'd be missing out on being more independent if I stay closer, although I'd be moving out anyway, but I don't think I'd be happy going anywhere else. Any advice?

I wish I could explore a new city and meet new people, staying so close means i already know the city and it doesn't feel as exciting! I had a 'this is it' moment at a different university, but the applicant day was awful. I prefer the course closer to home.

Thoughts?

It seems you've really answered your own question in terms of what you want. Just because your friends move away and you have a preconceived idea of how university should be doesn't mean it works out that way for everyone. You're still moving out so it would be a totally different lifestyle and with different people your experience of the city won't be the same. At the end of the day you need to do what you feel comfortable with and the course that feels right for you.

It may be worth considering whether the applicants day was really a true reflection of the other university, and perhaps try to visit again if you're not 100% sure that this university isn't the one for you.
Reply 2
You’re still moving away and will get the independence and maturation process by living in halls and away from parents and siblings.

You might know the city but seeing it from a student perspective may be completely different you don’t need to move miles away. You can go home as often or as little as you like.

It’s not a massive issue if you’re still living away from home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending