24.39%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

What is this thread about?
This is a vote in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). This item has already been debated in the House, and is now being voted on by MPs. If you're not an MP, please do not vote or comment here, even if you are able to do so!

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

VM534 – Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Condemnation Motion 2019, TSR Liberal Democrats
This House recognises that:
The Israeli people have a right to a Jewish homeland, as outlined in the Balfour Declaration of 1917, to ensure the safeguarding of the civil rights of the Jewish community.

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, launched in 2005, has numerous ties to antisemitism, which collectively comprise a deeply dangerous attack on the civil rights of Jewish people worldwide.

The co-founder of the BDS movement, Omar Baghouti, opposes the internationally accepted stance of a two-state solution regarding Israel and Palestine, has compared the modern Israeli state to Nazi Germany, and has professed an opposition to Jewish self-determination on more than one occasion.

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement resembles many anti-Jewish boycotts of the past, such as the Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses in the 1930s.

The relationship between Israel and the United Kingdom is one based on prosperity, peace and unity, and failure to condemn antisemitic practices in this country would severely impede on that relationship.

This House condemns:

The BDS movement, and any other movement which opposes the right to Jewish self-determination, a core tenet of the Balfour Declaration which the UK is bound to.
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 4 weeks ago
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay.

If you wish to condemn things do it in a statement, do not waste the Chancellor's time in division.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good to see the Nay's in the lead.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Might want to put the ] in at the end...
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I asked for reasons to vote for this. Instead, it was used as an opportunity to insult honourable members who support Palestine to some degree. I am only left to doubt the legitimacy of this motion on the basis of its supporters.

No.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
Good to see the Nay's in the lead.
I actually support the content, I just oppose the existence of condemnation motions.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I actually support the content, I just oppose the existence of condemnation motions.
Yeah I know I saw your comment
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One Aye has been removed due to an ineligible vote by 04MR17.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 13
The Noes to the left: 18
Abstentions: 10

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 82%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.65%
The paper was reasonable (394)
45.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.35%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise