The Student Room Group

UCAS Late application

I am currently at university and am planning on switching unis by reapplying to first year elsewhere. By the time I will send off my application it will probably be May. I am planning on applying to the uni of Birmingham, leeds, Manchester and Sheffield for engineering. I have sent them emails asking whether they would consider my application, what do you think are the chances of them considering it? Any success stories of applying late to a Russell group uni?
Original post by john_iqbal786
I am currently at university and am planning on switching unis by reapplying to first year elsewhere. By the time I will send off my application it will probably be May. I am planning on applying to the uni of Birmingham, leeds, Manchester and Sheffield for engineering. I have sent them emails asking whether they would consider my application, what do you think are the chances of them considering it? Any success stories of applying late to a Russell group uni?

It really just depends on their own admissions policy and the quantity/quality of applicants in that particular cycle. It would be worth waiting to hear from them until you send off your application so that you don't waste a choice on a university that won't be considering late applications. As long as you make careful/sensible choices and have a strong PS and reference (and, of course, check that they are accepting applications) you stand a fair chance.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It really just depends on their own admissions policy and the quantity/quality of applicants in that particular cycle. It would be worth waiting to hear from them until you send off your application so that you doTn't waste a choice on a university that won't be considering late applications. As long as you make careful/sensible choices and have a strong PS and reference (and, of course, check that they are accepting applications) you stand a fair chance.

Thank you for your reply, I believe there is a decent chance of getting offers from some of these unis as last year a couple had offered me a space, however it is just a matter of if they will even consider my application at this stage of the UCAS cycle.

Have you ever heard of anyone being considered for late applications at these unis? Also, I am sure last year I had seen these unis available in clearing for engineering, but this could be because a large amount of people couldn't meet there offers, they may have decided to stop considering applications for now.
Original post by john_iqbal786
Thank you for your reply, I believe there is a decent chance of getting offers from some of these unis as last year a couple had offered me a space, however it is just a matter of if they will even consider my application at this stage of the UCAS cycle.

Have you ever heard of anyone being considered for late applications at these unis? Also, I am sure last year I had seen these unis available in clearing for engineering, but this could be because a large amount of people couldn't meet there offers, they may have decided to stop considering applications for now.

I'm sure people have been accepted at these universities at various stages in the application process. Whether a university is in clearing very much depends on the number of suitable applicants who actually take up their offers in any given cycle. It's really impossible to predict. The best thing to do is wait to hear from them.
The UCAS site will generally tell you if a course is still open to applications or if there are restrictions on who can apply at this stage. Although it’s a good idea to check first (by phone) to make sure you won’t be wasting a spot.

Do you meet their typical offers in full or are you hoping that your year 1 marks will meet any shortfall? I work in RG admissions and typically we won’t consider marks or credit obtained elsewhere.
Original post by Admit-One
The UCAS site will generally tell you if a course is still open to applications or if there are restrictions on who can apply at this stage. Although it’s a good idea to check first (by phone) to make sure you won’t be wasting a spot.

Do you meet their typical offers in full or are you hoping that your year 1 marks will meet any shortfall? I work in RG admissions and typically we won’t consider marks or credit obtained elsewhere.

My grades are AAB, all of the unis for my course have their minimum requirements as this apart from leeds which is AAA. For a second year transfer, I was told by someone from admissions at leeds that they are willing to accept grades as low as ABB as long as 60-70% overall is obtained in my first year.

Would this not be the same case if I were to apply for first year at Leeds? Or atleast would the fact that I had completed first year on a similar course be taken into consideration and allow them to be more lenient with accepting my grades of AAB.
I also qualify for the contextual offers at the universities, however leeds universities access to leeds application deadline has passed, but would it not at least have some impact on their decision?
Original post by Admit-One

Also, I don't know how reliable the UCAS search tool is as I filtered unis that are still open to applications for my course and the uni of Cambridge is still in that list, which I doubt it would be at this stage. Guess the best thing to do is call them up tomorrow hoping they will consider the application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending