The Student Room Group

Intercalation

When you intercalate do you get a classification (first, 2:1)? (Leicester, Cardiff, Nottingham in particular). So if you hated medicine and wanted to leave, you could intercalate and leave with a valid BSc or MSci (if that’s the option you chose)?
Original post by A*my
When you intercalate do you get a classification (first, 2:1)? (Leicester, Cardiff, Nottingham in particular). So if you hated medicine and wanted to leave, you could intercalate and leave with a valid BSc or MSci (if that’s the option you chose)?

Yes, BSc's are given classifications. You could choose to leave if you like after intercalating, but it is quite rare.
Reply 2
Yeah, it’s not something I would plan on doing- just a worst case scenario if I decide medicine isn’t for me!
Original post by usycool1
Yes, BSc's are given classifications. You could choose to leave if you like after intercalating, but it is quite rare.
Reply 3
Why do some med schools let you intercalate after 2nd year and some only after 3rd?

Also does an intercalated BSc have the same worth as a normal BSc? Is it exactly the same (other than u do it in 1 year) or are there some differences?
Worth the exact same as a normal BSc (cause it is a normal one)
And it just depends on how the uni has set up their course, it doesn't really make much difference when it is done really
Reply 5
I am wondering whether it’s a competitive process to intercalate. Especially at Leicester/ Cardiff medical school
Reply 6
How difficult is it to intercalate at a university which isn’t your home university? Is it only top students who can do that?
Original post by A*my
How difficult is it to intercalate at a university which isn’t your home university? Is it only top students who can do that?

You just have to show interest and have not terrible marks. I know a few people who intercalated in random places and they were middle-of-the-run students.
Original post by A*my
I am wondering whether it’s a competitive process to intercalate. Especially at Leicester/ Cardiff medical school

Entirely variable. Some its compulsory, some its optional but guaranteed, some its competitive.

I do not know about those two specifically. This would be a good question for an open day, or to ask admissions via email.
Reply 9
Original post by A*my

https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/intercalated
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/medicine/courses/undergraduate/medicine/intercalate
@meddad
@Mutmit287
Can you add a bit of detail at all?
Original post by A*my

I can speak for Cardiff, but tbh unless everyone intercalates it will always be a competitive process.

Around 100/300 students intercalate here either after 3rd or after 4th year. Competition varies each year and depends on the option you choose. I would say if you are top 50% of the year you would not have an issue. That is excluding though the new emergency medicine degree which was ridiculously competitive this year.
Reply 11

@A*my

My daughter says that Leicester med students who apply to intercalate at Leicester all seem to be accommodated even if they apply quite late. She knows others who applied elsewhere who were successful too, but doesn't know how competitive those courses were.
Reply 12
Original post by A*my

I think it's pretty easy actually, although takes a lot of preparing, but medicine is a well respected degree and every uni I know of has been keen to take intercalators into masters degrees. Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL etc etc And this is coming from a middle of the road university like Liverpool (I think the hospitals and med school are great in liverpool mind you:smile:).
You could only intercalate in a masters or PhD if you've done 3 or more years at med school - Liverpool is after 4 years, but thats changing to be after 3rd year with the national licensing exam coming in.

Fyi if you're thinking oxbridge, oxford is far more intercalation friendly, cambridge was a huge admin pain.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest