Intercalation Watch

A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
When you intercalate do you get a classification (first, 2:1)? (Leicester, Cardiff, Nottingham in particular). So if you hated medicine and wanted to leave, you could intercalate and leave with a valid BSc or MSci (if that’s the option you chose)?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by A*my)
When you intercalate do you get a classification (first, 2:1)? (Leicester, Cardiff, Nottingham in particular). So if you hated medicine and wanted to leave, you could intercalate and leave with a valid BSc or MSci (if that’s the option you chose)?
Yes, BSc's are given classifications. You could choose to leave if you like after intercalating, but it is quite rare.
A*my
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Yeah, it’s not something I would plan on doing- just a worst case scenario if I decide medicine isn’t for me!
(Original post by usycool1)
Yes, BSc's are given classifications. You could choose to leave if you like after intercalating, but it is quite rare.
A*my
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why do some med schools let you intercalate after 2nd year and some only after 3rd?

Also does an intercalated BSc have the same worth as a normal BSc? Is it exactly the same (other than u do it in 1 year) or are there some differences?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Worth the exact same as a normal BSc (cause it is a normal one)
And it just depends on how the uni has set up their course, it doesn't really make much difference when it is done really
A*my
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am wondering whether it’s a competitive process to intercalate. Especially at Leicester/ Cardiff medical school
A*my
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How difficult is it to intercalate at a university which isn’t your home university? Is it only top students who can do that?
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A*my)
How difficult is it to intercalate at a university which isn’t your home university? Is it only top students who can do that?
You just have to show interest and have not terrible marks. I know a few people who intercalated in random places and they were middle-of-the-run students.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A*my)
I am wondering whether it’s a competitive process to intercalate. Especially at Leicester/ Cardiff medical school
Entirely variable. Some its compulsory, some its optional but guaranteed, some its competitive.

I do not know about those two specifically. This would be a good question for an open day, or to ask admissions via email.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A*my)
https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/intercalated
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/medicine/c...ne/intercalate
meddad
Mutmit287
Can you add a bit of detail at all?
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A*my)
I can speak for Cardiff, but tbh unless everyone intercalates it will always be a competitive process.

Around 100/300 students intercalate here either after 3rd or after 4th year. Competition varies each year and depends on the option you choose. I would say if you are top 50% of the year you would not have an issue. That is excluding though the new emergency medicine degree which was ridiculously competitive this year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
@A*my

My daughter says that Leicester med students who apply to intercalate at Leicester all seem to be accommodated even if they apply quite late. She knows others who applied elsewhere who were successful too, but doesn't know how competitive those courses were.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads