Y9 GCSE revision Watch

Jakebeddow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I reLly wAnt to do well in my GASEs and I'm currently in Y9. I want to be able to have less stressful revision time come y11 so that means I need to work harder now. Thing is I don't know how to revise and remember everything now so ill still know it by Y11. Any long term revision ideas? Thanks for an help.
IHaveTakenOver
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jakebeddow)
I reLly wAnt to do well in my GASEs and I'm currently in Y9. I want to be able to have less stressful revision time come y11 so that means I need to work harder now. Thing is I don't know how to revise and remember everything now so ill still know it by Y11. Any long term revision ideas? Thanks for an help.
I personally didn’t start learning the content I had to know until year 10. I suppose a good place to start now is learning how you revise and what’s the best effective way. It’s a bit too early to start but if you find the best way for you personally you’ll be in a good position when you do start. I’d say consolidating your notes as you learn them would benefit you for now.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jakebeddow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IHaveTakenOver)
I personally didn’t start learning the content I had to know until year 10. I suppose a good place to start now is learning how you revise and what’s the best effective way. It’s a bit too early to start but if you find the best way for you personally you’ll be in a good position when you do start. I’d say consolidating your notes as you learn them would benefit you for now.
Okay. At my school we chose our options in Y8 and start learnig the GCSE course in Y9.
arin11425
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Same here, do u do 2 subjects per year and then core subjects in yr 11? Or is it just that you do all the exams in year 11?
Okay. At my school we chose our options in Y8 and start learnig the GCSE course in Y9.
Jakebeddow
Rep:
?
(Original post by arin11425)
Same here, do u do 2 subjects per year and then core subjects in yr 11? Or is it just that you do all the exams in year 11?
All in Y11. 😂
snazzy viking
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
revise 14 hours a day for the next 2 years

you should’ve started in year 8 ...
imogen28
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’d say don’t worry about learning content yet as you will forget it, but revise (even if it’s just reading the revision guide) for end of topic tests and mocks so it’s more fresh in your mind when you do revise in year 11. Also start preparing things you’ll need to learn - English quotes, language speaking answers etc so you don’t have to be doing them three weeks before the start of gcses like me 😂🙊
miss_ambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Great to see somebody so enthusiastic about their education. You're in y9 so your very early. I would say don't overdo yourself as you're only in y9 but do a small amount of work so your sort of ahead. Maybe try checking the GCSE content, read the mark schemes and try a few questions here and there. Your in a perfect position as you can revise hardcore in y10 and early y11. Also, try sorting out all your notes/ flashcards now and year 10, so when the actual GCSEs come in y11 all you need to do is revise and memorise them.
imogen28
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by snazzy viking)
revise 14 hours a day for the next 2 years

you should’ve started in year 8 ...
Nah year 3 is the optimum starting time I think
Zoeyyyyyyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imogen28)
Nah year 3 is the optimum starting time I think
Optimum :lol: haha
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The best thing you can do in year 9 is to be organised. Keep your notes safe and start making revision resources that you could use in the future.

You really don't need to be memorising the actual content until year 11.
Jakebeddow
Rep:
?
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
Great to see somebody so enthusiastic about their education. You're in y9 so your very early. I would say don't overdo yourself as you're only in y9 but do a small amount of work so your sort of ahead. Maybe try checking the GCSE content, read the mark schemes and try a few questions here and there. Your in a perfect position as you can revise hardcore in y10 and early y11. Also, try sorting out all your notes/ flashcards now and year 10, so when the actual GCSEs come in y11 all you need to do is revise and memorise them.
right okay. cheers. 😁
jamila244
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i'm in year 11 right now and my exams are in just over 2 weeks. the best advice i can give you, from someone who is going through it, cares about their education like you do and took a language GCSE early in year 9, is first of all, DO NOT STRESS.

you are in year 9, you have a solid 2 years to work at this. but what i will say is, throughout the rest of year 9 and year 10, get yourself familiar with the specifications of the subjects you know you are going to be taking, and start to make your notes. just a little bit every other day, trust me, it'll save you once you get into the end of year 11. i made the bulk of my notes (flashcards and quizlet notes) during year 9 and 10 and it saved me so much, because come the end of year 11, it's a pain to be making notes on topics you studied over a year ago. don't break yourself over it, just do it little and often, and trust me, you will love yourself for it because it's going to save you so much time.

the second thing is, find what works for you. you have 2 whole years to adjust to 'proper' revision. there are many methods such as flashcards, mindmaps, bullet point notes, diagrams. find out what works for you. BUT, you need to make sure that when you make your notes, that you're not just copying out revision guides and textbooks because that isn't constructive. consolidate your notes from class and from the revision guides you will buy over the next year or so, and condense it down into something that looks a whole lot more manageable. takes some time but that's what starting now will help you with.

there are pretty much 3 stages of revision
-making your notes and consolidating everything from the specification
-learning the content and using active recall etc to be able to apply it
-take the content you have revised and practice using papers and questions

you do not need to be worrying about the last 2 until you are in year 11 i would say. for now, focus on the note making, it's the most time consuming part and the part you will want to be doing the least of in year 11.

i would say, although it is important to get all your notes from year 9 and 10 done before year 11 properly kicks off, so that you only have year 11 content to be worrying about during that time, do not get too stressed. do not spend hours upon hours slaving away at it. little and often. if you do too much in the upcoming year, you will not want to revise in year 11. it is possible to burn yourself out too quick, it happens a lot to people during mocks. but you absolutely do not want it to happen during year 10. it sounds silly but you need to keep it all in moderation.

GCSEs are big, they're the biggest thing you'll do in your time at secondary school, and they're so easy to get stressed over. you have a window here, you can prepare yourself and avoid the big panic weeks before the exams. use your time wisely but remember, you're in year 9, please keep living like someone in year 9. don't consume yourself in revision just yet.

trust me, you will be absolutely fine, find out what works for you, keep going with those notes. and once it's all done, you can move onto the learning part, it seems like a lot, but you will get through it. do not stress about not knowing everything until year 11 okay?

i'm stressed as hell, i feel sick all the time, i get headaches, i feel so heavy and anxious, exams are constantly on the back of my mind. but i know i helped myself by doing a lot of my notes during year 10. your stress 'time' will come, don't let it be so early, just keep doing your thing and you'll be fine. it's honestly refreshing to see someone with such a positive attitude towards school, i hope that you keep it up and that when year 11 comes round for you, that you keep going with it, don't get too overwhelmed and get the grades you truly deserve x
Jakebeddow
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamila244)
i'm in year 11 right now and my exams are in just over 2 weeks. the best advice i can give you, from someone who is going through it, cares about their education like you do and took a language GCSE early in year 9, is first of all, DO NOT STRESS.

you are in year 9, you have a solid 2 years to work at this. but what i will say is, throughout the rest of year 9 and year 10, get yourself familiar with the specifications of the subjects you know you are going to be taking, and start to make your notes. just a little bit every other day, trust me, it'll save you once you get into the end of year 11. i made the bulk of my notes (flashcards and quizlet notes) during year 9 and 10 and it saved me so much, because come the end of year 11, it's a pain to be making notes on topics you studied over a year ago. don't break yourself over it, just do it little and often, and trust me, you will love yourself for it because it's going to save you so much time.

the second thing is, find what works for you. you have 2 whole years to adjust to 'proper' revision. there are many methods such as flashcards, mindmaps, bullet point notes, diagrams. find out what works for you. BUT, you need to make sure that when you make your notes, that you're not just copying out revision guides and textbooks because that isn't constructive. consolidate your notes from class and from the revision guides you will buy over the next year or so, and condense it down into something that looks a whole lot more manageable. takes some time but that's what starting now will help you with.

there are pretty much 3 stages of revision
-making your notes and consolidating everything from the specification
-learning the content and using active recall etc to be able to apply it
-take the content you have revised and practice using papers and questions

you do not need to be worrying about the last 2 until you are in year 11 i would say. for now, focus on the note making, it's the most time consuming part and the part you will want to be doing the least of in year 11.

i would say, although it is important to get all your notes from year 9 and 10 done before year 11 properly kicks off, so that you only have year 11 content to be worrying about during that time, do not get too stressed. do not spend hours upon hours slaving away at it. little and often. if you do too much in the upcoming year, you will not want to revise in year 11. it is possible to burn yourself out too quick, it happens a lot to people during mocks. but you absolutely do not want it to happen during year 10. it sounds silly but you need to keep it all in moderation.

GCSEs are big, they're the biggest thing you'll do in your time at secondary school, and they're so easy to get stressed over. you have a window here, you can prepare yourself and avoid the big panic weeks before the exams. use your time wisely but remember, you're in year 9, please keep living like someone in year 9. don't consume yourself in revision just yet.

trust me, you will be absolutely fine, find out what works for you, keep going with those notes. and once it's all done, you can move onto the learning part, it seems like a lot, but you will get through it. do not stress about not knowing everything until year 11 okay?

i'm stressed as hell, i feel sick all the time, i get headaches, i feel so heavy and anxious, exams are constantly on the back of my mind. but i know i helped myself by doing a lot of my notes during year 10. your stress 'time' will come, don't let it be so early, just keep doing your thing and you'll be fine. it's honestly refreshing to see someone with such a positive attitude towards school, i hope that you keep it up and that when year 11 comes round for you, that you keep going with it, don't get too overwhelmed and get the grades you truly deserve x
thanks a lot. that helped. 😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.46%
The paper was reasonable (833)
43.39%
Not feeling great about that exam (376)
19.58%
It was TERRIBLE (203)
10.57%

Watched Threads