2nd Year Accomodation Late Cancellation Watch

6.inch.sub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I go to uni not far away from the town I'm from, however decided to move to uni halls for 1st year. While my flat is generally friendly and I get on with them (some more than others), I've begun to realise that I've made a massive mistake signing a house contract to live with them second year (signed it back in November). I just dont think it was the right decision to move into a house considering I dont really get on with the majority of them and have begun to really dislike one of my flatmates. The situation has started to stress me out to the point where I've developed panic attacks and anxiety. As already stated, I've decided I dont want to live with them next year but feel as though I'm putting them in an awkward position by backing out so late (contract begins in July). The idea of having to tell them is also something I'm dreading. I need advice on how best to tell them.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 6.inch.sub)
I go to uni not far away from the town I'm from, however decided to move to uni halls for 1st year. While my flat is generally friendly and I get on with them (some more than others), I've begun to realise that I've made a massive mistake signing a house contract to live with them second year (signed it back in November). I just dont think it was the right decision to move into a house considering I dont really get on with the majority of them and have begun to really dislike one of my flatmates. The situation has started to stress me out to the point where I've developed panic attacks and anxiety. As already stated, I've decided I dont want to live with them next year but feel as though I'm putting them in an awkward position by backing out so late (contract begins in July). The idea of having to tell them is also something I'm dreading. I need advice on how best to tell them.
Telling them is less of a worry than finding a replacement for your room. As you've signed a contract already, you will be responsible for the rent until a replacement can be found. You may also need to consider your flatmates' opinion where choosing who to transfer your contract to, so it's best to bite the bullet and tell them sooner rather than putting it off. They may also already know of someone looking for a room.

Do you have other accommodation lined up? If you think you do, don't sign another contract until you've been released from your current one, otherwise you'll be liable for two lots of rent.
6.inch.sub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Telling them is less of a worry than finding a replacement for your room. As you've signed a contract already, you will be responsible for the rent until a replacement can be found. You may also need to consider your flatmates' opinion where choosing who to transfer your contract to, so it's best to bite the bullet and tell them sooner rather than putting it off. They may also already know of someone looking for a room.

Do you have other accommodation lined up? If you think you do, don't sign another contract until you've been released from your current one, otherwise you'll be liable for two lots of rent.
Thanks for your reply. I'm planning on living at home next year as I can easily commute to university. Just need to offload this contract onto someone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (52)
5.66%
Fairly positive (288)
31.34%
Just another year... (361)
39.28%
Is it 2020 yet? (218)
23.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise