Deciding on university for undergraduate in Planning

Watch
TiernanL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ve been asked to compile a list in advance of finishing this semester for UCAS choices this autumn, I’ve decided on...

1. UWE Bristol - Urban Planning
2. Cardiff University - Urban Planning & Development
3. Heriot-Watt University - Urban Planning & Property Development

My question is which one would people preference, whether it’s regarding the course, city, overall student life etc
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don’t need to decide on a preference at the point of applying. You choose a firm choice after you have all your offers back. By then you will normally have had the chance to visit and speak to staff and students about the courses and the universities.
Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey

I have just finished my fourth year at Heriot-Watt University where I study Urban Planning and Property Development.

I obviously can’t say anything about the experience of studying in Cardiff and Bristol, and I’ve never actually visited those cities, but I can certainly share some information about Heriot-Watt at least!

The course is mixed between Planning and Real Estate, definitely with a bigger lean towards Planning. If you’re interested in doing more than just Planning, then it’ll be a good course for you. The course covers a range of subjects from Valuation, Urban Design, Planning and Development, which means a lot of doors are opened for you in Property in terms of your future career. The course is also dual accredited by the RTPI and the RICS, so after your four years, you can work in Planning or Real Estate/ Surveying and don’t have to do a masters if you’d prefer not to.

There’s also the option to take a year out and work in Industry between third and fourth year. I done this, and had a job offer before I even started my fourth year. It’s a fantastic way to apply what you’ve learned at University and make industry contacts before graduating.

Edinburgh is an amazing city to be a student in. It’s just the right size that you get to know it all without being overwhelmed. There’s always something going on.

Most of Heriot-Watts student accommodation is on campus and the campus is on the cusp on the city boundary. The benefit of this, is you become really close with all of the other students on campus in your year, making lots of friends,but the negative is you are always a bus or car ride away from being in the actual city centre. Good thing is though, after first year, you’ll likely get a flat in town anyway! And there’s frequent buses to and from town (including a night bus).

Heriot-Watt has amazing sports clubs and societies so they’re also a fab way to make friends and explore existing or new interests you may have.

The Urban Planning & Property Development class sizes are always competitively smaller than other courses, such as Accounting for example, so it’s likely you’ll also be really close with your class mates too. From my experience, we’ve always supported each other through course work as a class, meeting to revise together etc.

The teaching staff at Heriot-Watt are also all incredible and will get to know you on a first name basis as they teach you throughout your four years. They are so supportive.

From first year you are assigned an academic mentor. They meet with you frequently in your first year to make sure you’re getting on okay, and then are a continuing point of contact as you progress through university.

I can’t think of anything else at the moment. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I’m more than happy to help and answer any queries you may have.

Best wishes,
Rachel
TiernanL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep)
Hey

I have just finished my fourth year at Heriot-Watt University where I study Urban Planning and Property Development.

I obviously can’t say anything about the experience of studying in Cardiff and Bristol, and I’ve never actually visited those cities, but I can certainly share some information about Heriot-Watt at least!

The course is mixed between Planning and Real Estate, definitely with a bigger lean towards Planning. If you’re interested in doing more than just Planning, then it’ll be a good course for you. The course covers a range of subjects from Valuation, Urban Design, Planning and Development, which means a lot of doors are opened for you in Property in terms of your future career. The course is also dual accredited by the RTPI and the RICS, so after your four years, you can work in Planning or Real Estate/ Surveying and don’t have to do a masters if you’d prefer not to.

There’s also the option to take a year out and work in Industry between third and fourth year. I done this, and had a job offer before I even started my fourth year. It’s a fantastic way to apply what you’ve learned at University and make industry contacts before graduating.

Edinburgh is an amazing city to be a student in. It’s just the right size that you get to know it all without being overwhelmed. There’s always something going on.

Most of Heriot-Watts student accommodation is on campus and the campus is on the cusp on the city boundary. The benefit of this, is you become really close with all of the other students on campus in your year, making lots of friends,but the negative is you are always a bus or car ride away from being in the actual city centre. Good thing is though, after first year, you’ll likely get a flat in town anyway! And there’s frequent buses to and from town (including a night bus).

Heriot-Watt has amazing sports clubs and societies so they’re also a fab way to make friends and explore existing or new interests you may have.

The Urban Planning & Property Development class sizes are always competitively smaller than other courses, such as Accounting for example, so it’s likely you’ll also be really close with your class mates too. From my experience, we’ve always supported each other through course work as a class, meeting to revise together etc.

The teaching staff at Heriot-Watt are also all incredible and will get to know you on a first name basis as they teach you throughout your four years. They are so supportive.

From first year you are assigned an academic mentor. They meet with you frequently in your first year to make sure you’re getting on okay, and then are a continuing point of contact as you progress through university.

I can’t think of anything else at the moment. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I’m more than happy to help and answer any queries you may have.

Best wishes,
Rachel
Sorry that I’m only seeing your response now and thank you very much for the in depth information, I’ve always loved Edinburgh when I visited and doing Planning there I’m sure is such an enjoyable and insightful experience. Your reply has certainly put it high up on my list!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads