Should I move from SL Math to Math Studies? IB Year 1 Watch

hmpppfoot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently IBDP year 1 taking SL Maths (Getting high 4's) and I want to move to Math studies because I feel bad about my grades. I need 36 in but I've been getting about 31-2 (not including TOK/CAS/EE) and I think moving to Studies would boost my grades.

I wanna apply to a Business course with a focus in Marketing. Do you think I should move to math studies?

My math teacher says it will be too late to start Studies because I would have to revise the whole syllabus over the summer, and he also thinks that I can do SL even though i've been getting 4's.

What are your thoughts?
billyboyholter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, bold move. I know Studies is different content to SL, so it is not as though we (I do studies) are doing easier versions of SL work - it's quite different content, but there is some overlap, and studies is much easier when you start it from the beginning. But, maybe it depends on what you have missed this year and what content you covered in your pre-IB year. Find our what you have missed.

William
arriana.aa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, would highly recommend. If you're uni course doesn't want a math standard then go for it, it doesn't affect your chances. Plus its the last year they will offer this course so change now before you wont be able too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (460)
26.51%
The paper was reasonable (747)
43.05%
Not feeling great about that exam (342)
19.71%
It was TERRIBLE (186)
10.72%

Watched Threads