Shall I bother telling my gp I think I have a food intolerance Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I don't see what they'd do. If I eat this food in small quantities I end up breaking wind. If I eat a lot of them I am on the floor with the worst stomach pain. It genuinely feels like I'm going to expload. If I stand up I feel faint and want to vomit. The pain doesn't go until I finish breaking a lot of wind. It makes me full of trapped gas.

What do they do if you tell them? I don't want to go off for testing as I'm certain it's this one particular food.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't see what they'd do. If I eat this food in small quantities I end up breaking wind. If I eat a lot of them I am on the floor with the worst stomach pain. It genuinely feels like I'm going to expload. If I stand up I feel faint and want to vomit. The pain doesn't go until I finish breaking a lot of wind. It makes me full of trapped gas.

What do they do if you tell them? I don't want to go off for testing as I'm certain it's this one particular food.
Well clearly the first thing to do is to stop eating that particular food- or take the pain!
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As has been said
Avoid said food.
It’s intolerance not allergy.
Your gp will tell you to avoid it. That’s it
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

If you "don't want to go off for testing" then there's obviously no point in telling them. They can't even advise you properly without confirming their diagnosis.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Up to you- would being told you have an intolerance affect anything.
Personally I wouldn't as if I've worked out what it is, then I know just to stop eating that food completely and if I'm fine then cool
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
If you "don't want to go off for testing" then there's obviously no point in telling them. They can't even advise you properly without confirming their diagnosis.
It’s a nightmare trying to get tested on the nhs anyway.
And private companies are not always reliable to say the least.
As it seems intolerance not allergy then op should just apply common sense and avoid said food.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
As it seems intolerance not allergy then op should just apply common sense and avoid said food.
Anything nhs related is usually a nightmare, lol.
Anonymous #1
Well obviously I'm going to avoid that certain food, you all don't need to tell me that!

This is why I don't want to get tested. A few friends went private and the results were completely bogus. Completely unscientific methods were used.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well obviously I'm going to avoid that certain food, you all don't need to tell me that!

This is why I don't want to get tested. A few friends went private and the results were completely bogus. Completely unscientific methods were used.
If you do get tested it will either be positive result (what's that going to change- you've said yourself you are avoiding the food?)
or negative result (you aren't going to believe the result and thus ignore it and still avoid the food).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
If you do get tested it will either be positive result (what's that going to change- you've said yourself you are avoiding the food?)
or negative result (you aren't going to believe the result and thus ignore it and still avoid the food).

It's exactly that, the food will always be avoided. But I wonder if it's a good thing or not to have on medical records.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's exactly that, the food will always be avoided. But I wonder if it's a good thing or not to have on medical records.
As far as I'm aware it's not the best as such as it can bring up health insurance costs and stuff.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It can affect travel insurance. But not much as it’s intolerance not allergy.
If you’ve worked it out already why bother with the gp?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
As far as I'm aware it's not the best as such as it can bring up health insurance costs and stuff.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why would you be concerned about medical records?
It’s irrelevant
You’re not going to be referred for tests. Referrals for Allergy testing is hard enough Intolerance no chance.
All your gp will tell you to do is avoid the food
Why would you waste nhs time?
Anonymous #1
Why would you be concerned about medical records?
It’s irrelevant
You’re not going to be referred for tests. Referrals for Allergy testing is hard enough Intolerance no chance.
All your gp will tell you to do is avoid the food
Why would you waste nhs time?
Medical records are not irrelevant.

I clearly don't intend to waste NHS time, otherwise I would not have posted this in the first place. DUH.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why do you need to have it added to your records?
That’s the point.
And yes you’re right, why did you need to ask in the first place?
Medical records are not irrelevant.

I clearly don't intend to waste NHS time, otherwise I would not have posted this in the first place. DUH.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
There is absolutely no point in telling your GP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.2%
The paper was reasonable (394)
42.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.18%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.16%

Watched Threads