The Student Room Group

Failing first year- what do I do?

Hi,

I've really struggled with my first year at uni as I just couldn't adjust to the myriad differences from college, and am pretty much nailed on to fail the first year. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a lot of guff in these threads about how "stupid" or "lazy" you have to be to fail the first year, and how if you do so, you're basically up **** creek without a paddle. Can anyone give me some constructive advice on how to survive this, admittedly pretty critical, situation?

Cheers
Original post by BackFourBalowski
Hi,

I've really struggled with my first year at uni as I just couldn't adjust to the myriad differences from college, and am pretty much nailed on to fail the first year. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a lot of guff in these threads about how "stupid" or "lazy" you have to be to fail the first year, and how if you do so, you're basically up **** creek without a paddle. Can anyone give me some constructive advice on how to survive this, admittedly pretty critical, situation?

Cheers

Make an appointment to see both student support and your personal tutor ASAP. They will be able to talk you through your options. Burying your head in the sand at this point is not an option; you need to address this before the year ends. You need to consider why you found the jump from college to university so difficult, so that you (alongside your university support) can come up with an action plan to prevent these issues going forward.
Hi,

Cheers

I would deffo speak with your personal tutor and the academic student centre before you leave the 1st year. You must understand the problem in order to fix it, especially as the 2nd year will be twice the work and this might effect you physically and mentally.. So please please please ask for all the help you can and I'm sure the uni staff will support you.

Good luck 🤗
Original post by Doublletrouble
I would deffo speak with your personal tutor and the academic student centre before you leave the 1st year. You must understand the problem in order to fix it, especially as the 2nd year will be twice the work and this might effect you physically and mentally.. So please please please ask for all the help you can and I'm sure the uni staff will support you.

Good luck 🤗

Apparently at some unis, if you fail the first year, they kick you straight off the course, and you're not allowed to retake the year... I already have a deposit on a flat too so transferring somewhere isn't really an option. I might be up the creek..
Apparently at some unis, if you fail the first year, they kick you straight off the course, and you're not allowed to retake the year... I already have a deposit on a flat too so transferring somewhere isn't really an option. I might be up the creek..

They won't always let you retake the year if there is nothing to suggest that you will do any better if you take the year again.

They may suggest that you transfer onto the First year of a different course at the same uni - is that something you would consider?
Original post by harrysbar
They won't always let you retake the year if there is nothing to suggest that you will do any better if you take the year again.

They may suggest that you transfer onto the First year of a different course at the same uni - is that something you would consider?

I've thought about this for a while- and come to the conclusion, yeah, why not. Probably my best option if the excrement comes into contact with the ventilation system. The course director has told me, though, that on the basis of my contributions in the seminars and what little I've managed to submit that the teaching staff think quite highly of me, and have faith in my ability, so that might count for something. Here's hoping, eh?
I've thought about this for a while- and come to the conclusion, yeah, why not. Probably my best option if the excrement comes into contact with the ventilation system. The course director has told me, though, that on the basis of my contributions in the seminars and what little I've managed to submit that the teaching staff think quite highly of me, and have faith in my ability, so that might count for something. Here's hoping, eh?

Yup, Good Luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest