Deferring Uni Offers Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i applied for uni for 2019 September entry but after some consideration i really don’t want to go straight into higher education. i just want a break and i’m considering taking a gap year now.

however i have already got offers and chosen my firm/insurance so i’m not sure if i’m able to email admissions and ask if i can defer. i also don’t think it’s a good idea to email them and say “sorry i’m not wanting to go to uni this year can i defer to next year” as that’s a good excuse.

am i better trying to ask them if i can defer or should i just reapply next year?
Xarao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ask to defer through each university. You can re-apply next year but you already have the offers and you'll be saving yourself a whole load of trouble if you just picked up the phone now and contacted them.

Also, remember why you're taking a gap year. If it's just to take a break and do nothing, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Make sure you have a true purpose of taking a gap year before you decide to do so.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xarao)
Ask to defer through each university. You can re-apply next year but you already have the offers and you'll be saving yourself a whole load of trouble if you just picked up the phone now and contacted them.

Also, remember why you're taking a gap year. If it's just to take a break and do nothing, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Make sure you have a true purpose of taking a gap year before you decide to do so.
i want to take a gap year because i want a small break from having to study & be stressed 24/7.

i would still have my job so i wouldn’t be doing nothing. i also want to travel for a short period of time.
Xarao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i want to take a gap year because i want a small break from having to study & be stressed 24/7.

i would still have my job so i wouldn’t be doing nothing. i also want to travel for a short period of time.
That's a purpose and that makes complete sense. Good on you man.
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I deferred my offers by email. I just explained that I wanted to work for a year before starting uni.

(I'm now in my 1st year of uni)
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I deferred from 18 to 19 entry and personally it has been the best thing for me - I let them know on results day and they changed the year of entry for me then. I called them and they sorted it straight away.

In my gap year I work full time and have done so much: own home, first car and saved so much as well as found a bit of mental clarity. It sounds like itll be good for you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
I deferred from 18 to 19 entry and personally it has been the best thing for me - I let them know on results day and they changed the year of entry for me then. I called them and they sorted it straight away.

In my gap year I work full time and have done so much: own home, first car and saved so much as well as found a bit of mental clarity. It sounds like itll be good for you
Should I wait until results day and email admissions or should I do it this now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.9%
The paper was reasonable (418)
43.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.11%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.81%

Watched Threads