mechanics projectiles question Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, for 12 b on this paper, can you assume that v=0 in the horizontal and vertical plane at the point where the ball is at its maximum distance above the ground? I am confused by this as how could it be stationary in the air if its constantly moving? Also, how do you do 12c ? Many thanks https://crashmaths.com/wp-content/up...RONZE-P3-A.pdf
mqb2766
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For b) the horizontal and vertical motions are analyzed independently.
For c) you have a time and distance, what is the problem with finding the speed?
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
what do you mean for a?
(Original post by mqb2766)
For b) the horizontal and vertical motions are analyzed independently.
For c) you have a time and distance, what is the problem with finding the speed?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't understand what you're asking.
(Original post by Bertybassett)
what do you mean for a?
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
I mean what do you mean by theyre analysed independently? do you just mean you set v=0 for both?
I don't understand what you're asking.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At its highest point, the vertical component of the velocity is zero. It is independent of how fast it is moving horizontally.
The key thing about questions like these is to analyse the horizontal and vertical components separately.
I mean what do you mean by theyre analysed independently? do you just mean you set v=0 for both?
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
but is its horizontal component also v=0
At its highest point, the vertical component of the velocity is zero. It is independent of how fast it is moving horizontally.
The key thing about questions like these is to analyse the horizontal and vertical components separately.
RDKGames
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, for 12 b on this paper, can you assume that v=0 in the horizontal and vertical plane at the point where the ball is at its maximum distance above the ground? I am confused by this as how could it be stationary in the air if its constantly moving? Also, how do you do 12c ? Many thanks https://crashmaths.com/wp-content/up...RONZE-P3-A.pdf
Yes it is constantly moving, but at its highest point it is moving ONLY due to the horizontal component which is *not* zero!

Only the vertical component is zero at the highest point, I don't know why you think that the horizontal component is zero as well. It doesn't make sense for it to be. Besides, when the projectile is initially launched it has a horizontal component for the velocity but at no point is the particle affected by horizontal acceleration therefore that horizontal velocity never increases/decreases.... it stays constant throughout motion, hence never zero!
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No.
There are no forces in the horizontal direction, hence no acceleration or deceleration. The horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the motion. It is independent of the vertical motion.
AlexT-S
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This video really helped me with projectile motion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
30.35%
The paper was reasonable (535)
39.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (230)
17.02%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
13.03%

Watched Threads