How important are A Levels? Watch

bb273
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Long story short, I’ve left revision a bit too late with only a month left to go until my first exam so I doubt I will be achieving top grades or anything near the grades I had the potential to achieve if I had started earlier in the year- not that I won’t be trying my hardest to achieve good grades in the little time I have left. So, i was just wondering if a levels have a big impact on future employment. For context, I want to go into law but am not interested in joining a magic circle law firm or anything like that. I will still be going to university regardless as I have an unconditional offer and resitting isn’t an option, so i was just wondering if I came out of university with a 2:1 or 1st, would my a levels affect me in any way?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by bb273; 3 weeks ago
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
Long story short, I’ve left revision a bit too late with only a month left to go until my first exam so I doubt I will be achieving top grades or anything near the grades I had the potential to achieve if I had started earlier in the year- not that I won’t be trying my hardest to achieve good grades in the little time I have left. So, i was just wondering if a levels have a big impact on future employment. For context, I want to go into law but am not interested in joining a magic circle law firm or anything like that. I will still be going to university regardless as I have an unconditional offer and resitting isn’t an option, so i was just wondering if I came out of university with a 2:1 or 1st, if my a levels would affect me in any way?
Some graduate schemes (and internships) will have UCAS points filters, but they're usually reasonable from what I've seen, the likes of BBB.

For the most part, you should be fine.
bb273
Rep:
?
i achieved BCE in my january mocks for further context
Last edited by bb273; 3 weeks ago
bb273
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Some graduate schemes (and internships) will have UCAS points filters, but they're usually reasonable from what I've seen, the likes of BBB.

For the most part, you should be fine.
from the looks of it i will probably be achieving BCD/BBD or probably ABD at most lol
georgelagalle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Many courses for masters and phd don’t even look at A-levels, it’s the degree that counts 😉
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
i achieved BCE in my january mocks for further context
stop making excuses and knuckle down. it's not worth the detour you'll go through if you don't (coming from experience).
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
Long story short, I’ve left revision a bit too late with only a month left to go until my first exam so I doubt I will be achieving top grades or anything near the grades I had the potential to achieve if I had started earlier in the year- not that I won’t be trying my hardest to achieve good grades in the little time I have left. So, i was just wondering if a levels have a big impact on future employment. For context, I want to go into law but am not interested in joining a magic circle law firm or anything like that. I will still be going to university regardless as I have an unconditional offer and resitting isn’t an option, so i was just wondering if I came out of university with a 2:1 or 1st, would my a levels affect me in any way?
Unfortunately, Law is one of the most competitive careers out there at the moment and because of that, most of the big law firms offering training contracts will look closely at your A level grades. Most of them will have specific A level requirements such as AAB, ABB or (less frequently) BBB.

This is not the same with all graduate schemes but it is common for Law so it is worth doing lots of research into the normal entry requirements of firms offering training contracts
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No it wouldnt.... because if you have a degree in law the employers wouldnt usually care about a levels because you already have the degree... the only thing is ... at uni you need to work a lot harder than you have done for a levels... in order to achieve this degree
(Original post by bb273)
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But he has an unconditional for uni... he doesnt need the a levels
(Original post by harrysbar)
Unfortunately, Law is one of the most competitive careers out there at the moment and because of that, most of the big law firms offering training contracts will look closely at your A level grades. Most of them will have specific A level requirements such as AAB, ABB or (less frequently) BBB.

This is not the same with all graduate schemes but it is common for Law so it is worth doing lots of research into the normal entry requirements of firms offering training contracts
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Camryn0903)
But he has an unconditional for uni... he doesnt need the a levels
It's not getting onto a Law degree that's a problem with BBD (say) it's getting a job as a trainee solicitor....that is a lot harder
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's not getting onto a Law degree that's a problem with BBD (say) it's getting a job as a trainee solicitor....that is a lot harder
Yeah but It depends on what kinda law he wants to go into then... because he might not want to be a solicitor ... maybe he want to work as a paralegal for a bit until he passes the bar and then go into a career as a barrister??
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah but It depends on what kinda law he wants to go into then... because he might not want to be a solicitor ... maybe he want to work as a paralegal for a bit until he passes the bar and then go into a career as a barrister??
Becoming a barrister is even harder.
bb273
Rep:
?
i’m a girl lol but right now i want to go into family law (could possibly change my mind in the future), but i definitely don’t want to become a barrister though
Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say do the best you can I got CCC at A-level and my route to securing a professional job was harder than it should of been. (Compared to if I tried harder, more businesses would consider me due to UCAS Points requirements) In your case for magic circle firms and law which is far more competitive you really need to get ABB minimum I would of thought.
Camryn0903
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry lmao.. and maybe they will matter then idk... I want to go into the cps as an advocate so I dont really know much about family law sorry xx
(Original post by bb273)
i’m a girl lol but right now i want to go into family law (could possibly change my mind in the future), but i definitely don’t want to become a barrister though
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what on earth are you on about
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
a levels won't matter as much then.. you'll have to network pretty hard though to get a training contract- track paralegal seat at one of the more local high street firms. for more national high street firms it will still matter a fair bit.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
a levels won't matter as much then.. you'll have to network pretty hard though to get a training contract- track paralegal seat at one of the more local high street firms. for more national high street firms it will still matter a fair bit.
Getting a job as a paralegal is one thing, but not particularly well paid. Getting a training contract to become a solicitor will be a challenge with A levels below BBB even for someone aiming for family law. There are just too many other applicants with A grades for every training contract on offer.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
Wouldn’t worry about it too much. Even law firms are relying less and less on A-level grades
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bb273)
Lots of family law firms don’t give a damn about A-levels. You need the resilience/personality to do well in an area like that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (205)
22.14%
The paper was reasonable (393)
42.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.22%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.2%

Watched Threads