Clinical science to medicine for university of Leeds Watch

Post-16-student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m thinking of doing clinical science foundation year for medicine and then transferring to Leeds for medicine, as I don’t think I have the right gcse grades. Would I have to go through the whole ucas application again, or would I just get sent to medicine straight from clinical science. I know a levels are important but let’s face it, I am less likely to even get an offer due to my GCSE grades. What are the opinions on this? And has anyone actually got into medicine at Leeds from clinical science?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Post-16-student; 4 weeks ago
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Post-16-student)
So I’m thinking of doing clinical science foundation year for medicine and then transferring to Leeds for medicine, as I don’t think I have the right gcse grades. Would I have to go through the whole ucas application again, or would I just get sent to medicine straight from clinical science. I know a levels are important but let’s face it, I am less likely to even get an offer due to my GCSE grades. What are the opinions on this? And has anyone actually got into medicine at Leeds from clinical science?
You would need to apply through UCAS. A foundation year doesn't guarantee you a place on another course, and you'll need to achieve certain grades in order to be eligible. Leeds may be able to give you some advice about the likelihood of getting onto medicine from the clincial science course.
Post-16-student
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
You would need to apply through UCAS. A foundation year doesn't guarantee you a place on another course, and you'll need to achieve certain grades in order to be eligible. Leeds may be able to give you some advice about the likelihood of getting onto medicine from the clincial science course.
Thank you, I heard that if you don’t get into med you can go through a foundation year but this time they won’t look at your grades but rather your performance in that year and I i think the Bmat
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, I heard that if you don’t get into med you can go through a foundation year but this time they won’t look at your grades but rather your performance in that year and I i think the Bmat
They will look at everything prior to making a decision about your grades. There is no way to hide poor grades achieved previously - these must be disclosed on your UCAS application. They may pay more attention to your recent study, but all grades will be looked at.
Post-16-student
Rep:
?
They will look at everything prior to making a decision about your grades. There is no way to hide poor grades achieved previously - these must be disclosed on your UCAS application. They may pay more attention to your recent study, but all grades will be looked at.
Oh I hope I perform well in my a levels to make up for the gcse grades. Thanks btw, are you a medic student?
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh I hope I perform well in my a levels to make up for the gcse grades. Thanks btw, are you a medic student?
Your teachers should be able to advise in terms of whether they think it would be realistic for you to achieve the entry grades. No, I'm not.
Post-16-student
Rep:
?
Your teachers should be able to advise in terms of whether they think it would be realistic for you to achieve the entry grades. No, I'm not.
Oh ok, tbh teachers will always discourage you, they don’t know your potential, only you do. You can’t let something in the past effect your whole future. Theres people who have been discouraged and still performed well and there’s people who got encouraged and dident perform well. It is important for an individual to know their potential and then work towards that accordingly. At this moment of time I doubt my teachers will encourage me for medicine but I know that I am capable of it if I work hard.
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh ok, tbh teachers will always discourage you, they don’t know your potential, only you do. You can’t let something in the past effect your whole future. Theres people who have been discouraged and still performed well and there’s people who got encouraged and dident perform well. It is important for an individual to know their potential and then work towards that accordingly. At this moment of time I doubt my teachers will encourage me for medicine but I know that I am capable of it if I work hard.
Of course that's true, but if you are unsure whether you may meet the requirements then it's sensible to at least speak with your teachers to see what they think is realistic. Your teachers aren't your enemy and they do want to see you succeed. From what you've written previously (and this entire thread) you don't seem particularly sure you are capable. All I am suggesting is that you make an informed decision - but you need to do whatever feels right for you ultimately.

Best of luck with your application.
Post-16-student
Rep:
?
Of course that's true, but if you are unsure whether you may meet the requirements then it's sensible to at least speak with your teachers to see what they think is realistic. Your teachers aren't your enemy and they do want to see you succeed. From what you've written previously (and this entire thread) you don't seem particularly sure you are capable. All I am suggesting is that you make an informed decision - but you need to do whatever feels right for you ultimately.

Best of luck with your application.
Yes it’s my GCSE grades and my potential predicted grades that put me off but I know personally that I am capable of it, thank you for the advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
16.31%
The paper was reasonable (192)
51.34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.39%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.96%

Watched Threads