Bede made up the Anglo-Saxon invasion

Watch
ire777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There was no Anglo-Saxon invasion. There is no archaeological evidence for it, only artefacts and changes in language, neither of which is proof of invasion.
Ghostmaster475
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This area is widely debated by historians and archaeologists and there is no real definitive answer to the question of whether there was an 'Anglo-Saxon invasion'. It's clear that there was no united Germanic force that one day showed up and wiped out the British natives but what we can tell is that between the mid 6th and 7th centuries, there were a series of migrations from the areas of Saxony, Jutland etc... While scholars do say that some of these migrations were peaceful, this was not always the case and there is evidence to suggest cases of violent transitions during this period of migration. Overall, whether it can be called a peaceful process or an armed invasion is still up for debate.
ire777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Ghostmaster475)
This area is widely debated by historians and archaeologists and there is no real definitive answer to the question of whether there was an 'Anglo-Saxon invasion'. It's clear that there was no united Germanic force that one day showed up and wiped out the British natives but what we can tell is that between the mid 6th and 7th centuries, there were a series of migrations from the areas of Saxony, Jutland etc... While scholars do say that some of these migrations were peaceful, this was not always the case and there is evidence to suggest cases of violent transitions during this period of migration. Overall, whether it can be called a peaceful process or an armed invasion is still up for debate.
The migrations did not constitute more than a handful of people from the rest of Europe as might happen at any time. The reason why the language changed abruptly without an invasion was because all matters of importance started to be conducted in the new language, so that eventually everyone started to speak in it. The same thing could happen today - if the media was all presented in a new language and all official documentation was in a new language, English could go extinct.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads